About the role:
Every year, we carry out over 500,000 tests on samples of water that we routinely collect from our treatment works, reservoirs and randomly selected customer properties, to ensure your drinking water is of the highest quality. As a Water Quality Technician, you’ll be the person responsible for collecting these water quality samples.
The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) monitors and enforces water quality regulations on behalf of the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
Their job is to assess the wholesomeness of drinking water and carry out audits of all water suppliers to examine all aspects of water quality, treatment, monitoring and analysis. The quality of our drinking water is determined by standards set out in the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2000 (and associated amendments).Key Accountabilities:
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Collecting samples from works, reservoirs and customer addresses; this will involve some cold calling.
- Frequent driving to customer property, sites and reservoirs as required.
- Managing the maintenance of sampling records and sampling equipment to UKAS and DWI standards.
- Planning your workload and deliver monitoring program.
- Liaising with the Technical Scheduling team, CSWQ group and Process Team for technical data and Regulatory and Performance team for all reactive work, in line with company protocols.
- Keeping accurate daily records of all samples taken.
- Investigating possible supply issues.
- Effectively planning of routes and collection programs.
- Arranging appointments with customers and sample customer complaints.
- Taking part in events as part of an out of hour’s roster.
What’s in it for you:
- Educated to GCSE level in English and Maths or equivalent experience.
- Excellent customer service skills are necessary.
- Informative and organised, you will have excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of the water industry and processes relevant to this area of work.
- Ability to learn the required Health and Safety legislation.
- Comfortable driving a large size commercial van and confident driving in busy environments, such as city centres or enclosed estates.
- A full clean driving license is essential.
- Ability to plan journeys and route find efficiently.
- Ability to work in a busy team.
This is a unique role within Thames Water, allowing you to have complete control over your day to day work. You will be visiting customers directly at their homes and taking water samples ensuring the standard of drinking water Thames Water provides is always to the best standards possible. You really will be working on the front line and be the face of Thames Water.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.