About the role:
In this role, you will help the business create an intelligent digital-enabled wastewater network that will provide real-time data on wastewater assets leading to a best in class approach to maintaining and operating our 109,500 km of sewerage network.
You will work closely with Operations, Performance, Risk and Optimisation (PRO) and the Waste Operational Control Centre (WOCC) in analysing the wastewater network to determine the optimum locations for a sighting of digital sewer monitors.
You will be working alongside the wastewater modelling function in Asset Management, where you will gain in-depth knowledge of the performance of the sewerage network through our network models. This will allow you to understand hydraulically and logistically the most effective locations for deploying monitoring to meet the businesses’ needs.Key Accountabilities:
Working in a collaborative team you will:
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Develop your understanding of wastewater systems and the application of digital technology.
- Advance approaches digitisation of wastewater systems that are holistic and bespoke to the system(s) you are investigating.
- You will play a key part in the achievement of the company’s ODI target for pollution, flooding and blockages by identifying the monitoring approach that delivers maximum benefit.
- Build a close working relationship with the WoCC, where you will be able to learn and develop the thinking of what makes an ideal location for monitoring and delivers the required performance.
What’s in it for you:
- Strong technical background.
- Previous experience and knowledge of wastewater network and/or wastewater process modelling or engineering within the UK water industry is desirable.
- Understanding of the sewerage network and an appreciation of pipe sizes, depths and chamber configurations.
- Ability to multi-task and grasp technical issues.
- Ability to interrogate data.
- A practical approach to problem-solving.
- Understanding/awareness of traffic management.
- Previous experience of hydraulics and how networks respond during dry weather, rainfall and when outfalls are locked by high river levels or when pumping stations fail and flow back.
This is an exciting newly-created role, giving you the opportunity to join a technically diverse team who manage our wastewater strategic planning and investment requirements. You will work in a position that allows you good exposure to an industry-leading modelling capability giving you the chance to learn and grow as a wastewater network specialist.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.