About the role:
The role provides an excellent challenge for an experienced technical assurance engineer to join Thames Water working on the prestigious Tideway Tunnel project.
You will play a key role in ensuring projects are delivered to time, cost and quality objectives as well as ensuring strong health, safety, and wellbeing culture are adopted throughout.
Ensuring that the contractors and consultants delivering capital projects for Thames Water comply with our requirements, standards, and expectations.
Ensuring the solution developed and delivered meets the technical requirements of the Project Brief, addresses the Need(s), meets operations expectations, and provides the best Whole Life Cost for Thames Water. Key Accountabilities:
- You will liaise closely with the Definition team in Asset Management to ensure the defined solution is developed through detailed design and continues to meet the requirements of the Project Brief and address the need.
- You will be responsible for all technical aspects during the Capital Delivery phases of the projects being delivered.
- You will be responsible for the identification and escalation of any change and/or risks that emerge through design, construction, commissioning and handover phases of the project which may affect, performance and/or compliance.
- You will play a key role in ensuring Operations requirements are considered and that they are fully bought into the solution being implemented. Ensuring Operations understand what will (and will not be delivered) as part of the solution, enabling a smooth transition of delivered assets into BAU.
- Representing Thames Water in technical reviews during the project development and implementation, liaising closely with the Thames Water Project Manager.
- Responsible for ensuring the contractors/ consultants are:
- always compliant with Thames Water’s Asset Standards and requirements,
- follow Capital Delivery’s processes and procedures.
- fulfilling their Regulatory roles including CDM Principal Designer, Designer, and Principal Contractor duties.
- Working closely and collaboratively with the Project Manager and commercial teams to ensure the project is delivered to time, quality and cost.
- You will lead on all project technical queries (e.g. Compliance, environmental and regulatory) and liaison with the relevant authorities (internal or external) to ensure the smooth running of the project.
- Assuring contractors and consultants provide the necessary evidence to demonstrate compliance with technical and construction requirements.
- Carry out technical audits/assessments (pre, during and post-construction) to ensure Environmental, Health and Safety and Quality issues are appropriately addressed on your projects.
- Ensure that corrective actions arising from audits are completed in a timely fashion.
- Working closely with the Quality and Compliance team in the PMO:
- assessing the quality of assets created by the contractors, the efficiency of their activities and compliance with Business Management Systems.
- assess the quality/adequacy and management of project documentation.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of technical documentation prior to contractual Take-Over.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Processes and procedures are always being followed by yourself and you actively develop these processes when required.
- Ensure the contractors and consultants are following their own and our processes, procedures, and standards throughout the design, construction and commissioning periods.
- Educated to degree level in an engineering discipline or have similar role-specific experience.
- Significant experience working in a design or related role.
What’s in it for you? Capital Delivery: Engineering Our Future
- Detailed knowledge within your discipline plus experience across engineering disciplnes
- Commercially aware with a good practical understanding of engineering contracts.
- A great team player with the ability to work collaboratively in a challenging project.
- You will be self-starting, resilient and tenacious under pressure, with a desire to successfully deliver projects to time, cost and quality.
- Early escalation of issues in a supportive manner where necessary.
The UK water industry is changing; tighter regulation, ambitious renewable energy targets and stretching leakage and efficiency targets make Thames Water a challenging, exciting and rewarding place to be as we deliver one of the UK’s biggest infrastructure programmes. The supply of wholesome drinking water and safe treatment of wastewater is critical to protecting our environment. We are passionate about our responsibility for successfully delivering innovative solutions from feasibility and design through to construction and therefore have opportunities right across the project lifecycle. Our people are the heartbeat of our business, and their wellbeing is our primary concern.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate, innovative, energetic, and ready to rise to the challenge of working in the fastest growing and most densely populated part of the UK. These projects build upon the Victorian’s infrastructure that has served us so well and you can be part of making sure our legacy will make a difference to our customers now and in the future.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.