- Job Reference: 00018378-1
- Date Posted: 12 May 2022
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: Sandwich, Kent
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
The Recycling Team Leader is responsible for the day to day operation of their Recycling Centre, the health and Safety of staff, visitors, contractors, agency staff and customers. They must ensure the delivery of a high standard of customer service by actively encouraging reuse and recycling as well as assisting the public with their waste disposal.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
• To control and operate the Recycling Centre safely and efficiently and in line with company procedures and policies, Environmental Permit, Planning Permissions and Contract Specification.
• To assist the Site Supervisors in delivering a safe and efficient Recycling Centre service.
• To ensure that the highest standard of customer care is maintained by all site personnel at all times
• To ensure that the site is operated in accordance with the Working Plan and contract requirements.
• To ensure that all site personnel comply with Health and Safety law, Site Management Plans, Risk Assessments, Safe Working Procedures, Tool Box Talks, Safety Alerts and any other site instructions.
• To actively promote the principles of Reuse – where applicable, by encouraging site staff to identify and intercept reusable items in conjunction with our charity partners.
• To actively encourage users of the sites to reuse before recycling and to manage site staff so as to maximise reuse and recycling levels at the site through identification, interception and education.
• To ensure that site daily inspections are undertaken and recorded appropriately in accordance with the Environmental Permit and contract operating procedures
• To ensure that all movements of reuse, recyclables and waste are recorded in line with relevant regulations and contract procedures and all paperwork and information is captured using the sites HData system as instructed.
• To monitor container usage and to provide daily reports in relation to container movements for the following day.
• To ensure that all plant and equipment safety checks and inspections are carried and reported in line with the Contract Specification and FCC procedures.
• To ensure that all chargeable waste is identified and appropriate charges applied.
• To ensure that all sales procedures are followed and recorded in line with company policy
• To assist the company in the identification of unlawful deposit of commercial waste at the Recycling Centre.
• To ensure that staffing levels are maintained and are recorded accurately including the start and finish times of each operative to comply with Fire Regulations
• Ensure that all site personnel are wearing issued uniforms, name badges and using PPE correctly at all times.
• To prevent any unauthorised person from sorting, disturbing, interfering or removing any waste from the Recycling Centre
• Any other reasonable request to meet operational needs
• Experience of working in a customer facing setting essential
• Experience of managing teams, or able to demonstrate the skills to do so essential
• Experience of working at a Recycling Centre and or in a waste and/or recycling setting desirable, but not essential.
• Experience of working in a heavily regulated environment desirable, but not essential
• Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
• Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
• Knowledge of team dynamics.
Personal attributes and other requirements
• Strong leadership skills involving a multi-disciplined team.
• Commitment to delivering high levels of customer service.
• Strong communication skills.
• Proven ability to manage teams. Strong leadership qualities, skilled in delivering measurable results through others.
• Strong people skills capable of developing and motivating teams.
• Ability to work collaboratively at all levels in a capacity of adding value to the decision making process.
• Sufficiently resilient and robust to effectively manage third parties.
• Well developed interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and develop successful long term employee and industrial relations.
• Good timekeeper
• Self motivated.
• Must be able to work by alone or as a team.
• Must be honest and hardworking.
• Must be prepared to work Weekends and Bank Holidays and flexible working hours
• Sites open 7 days a week: Required to work any directed shift pattern up to a 6 days, with possible split rest days dependant on operational requirements. Sites closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year’s day
• Location – May be asked to work on any Mid & East Kent site
• Must hold a full UK driving licence & have own transport to travel to any site within the Mid & East Kent Contract, or outside of Kent for training courses
• Able to operate 360º excavator or willing and capable of being trained if required
• First Aid Trained or willing & capable of being trained if required.