About the role:
We are currently seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to be part of a team that provides 24x7 technical support to the operational area when dealing with domain issues. The Operational Technology team is ultimately responsible for the reliability and continuity of the essential services that provide the eyes and ears of Thames Water production and wastewater treatment.
The variety and diversity of the different systems that are used to manage data at Thames Water mean that no two days are the same and that there is a constant challenge on the technical problem-solving skills that are needed. Often the responses that are needed are not only urgent but operationally critical so you will need to be able to think on your feet and react quickly.In this role you will:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Act as SME on all matters Domain, providing Technical Support for the Thames Water Operational team as well as the OT wider team.
- Supporting all Domain assets and systems to ensure 99.98% availability.
- Integrated within the Operational Technology Infrastructure team with responsibility for the maintenance, reliability, and continuity of all Domain Infrastructure Assets and systems.
- Lead and coordinate the Operational Technology Change Management and Risk Assessment procedure to minimise the impact of Domain changes on operational systems.
- Maintain the Domain Assets, Systems, Software, and configuration standards, processes, and procedures to support OT and the operational business.
- Provide technical support for the development and maintenance of the OT strategy, standards, and procedures.
- Provide technical support in design and delivery including both high and low-level design as required.
- Provide 24/7 Out of Hours emergency support and fault rectification for the Organisational Management Control room when on Standby.
- Identify and escalate cyber & operational risks.
- Deliver Operating System, Antivirus, VM Tools, and other updates and upgrades at specified intervals.
- Develop and deliver solutions for new or modified customer requests.
- Effective use and management of Microsoft Endpoint Manager Configuration Manager (Also Known as SCCM), VEEAM, Enterprise Antivirus, VMWare, SPECOPS, Tenable, SolarWinds, GFI LANGUARD, PKI (CA), Microsoft System Centre Suite (SCOM & SCORCH), Active Directory including Group Policy, Sites & Services & DNS, Storage (SAN/ NAS/ Hyper-converged/ etc).
- Implement security improvements to Systems.
- Audit and Management of Domain System Security.
- Audit & Management of Domain System Licences.
- Audit and management of Equipment obsolescence.
What’s in it for you?
- MCSA Certification for both Server and Windows, VCP (Data Center Virtualisation), and a good knowledge of SCCM, VMWare, VEEAM, Enterprise Antivirus solutions, with the ability to act as a Domain SME and demonstrate keeping up with industry best practice in this area are all Essential.
- It is also necessary to have a good knowledge of IP communications, LAN and WAN and its application, alongside knowledge of, or the ability to learn the industry-specific SCADA systems. Qualifications in this area are desirable but not essential.
- The ability to prioritise and deal with reactive decision-making will be a regular element of the post. You must have excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills along with an ability to work on your own initiative and provide the best possible service at a minimal cost.
- Troubleshooting, Fault finding, Route Cause Analysis, Report writing will also be a regular feature of this role.
- Please note: A full UK, driving license is a requirement for this role as you will be required to provide an out of hours support on a standby basis, for which you will receive an additional payment.
- Excellent MSOffice skills including email as well as VISIO are also desirable.
- Awareness of ITIL V4 would also be beneficial.
This role will be based at an operational site close to home. We are offering a salary of up to £49,000 (if based outside M25) and £53,000 (if based inside M25) depending on experience and qualifications. This role attracts a car allowance of £4,500.
Participation in a 24/7 Out of Hours Standby rota (typically 1 week in 4) will be required after a suitable period of training and assessment, for which you will receive an additional payment.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service, and much more, including our referral scheme. You can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days of paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About Us
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy