About the role:
As a System Operator you will be responsible for managing a number of hydraulic systems made up of all the clean water assets for the abstraction of raw water, treatment to produce potable water, transmission to move the potable water into the right areas and finally the distribution network. You will be making informed operational decisions 24/7 based on data insight and the ever-changing operational environment that is water supply to delivery the highest water quality safely, maintaining customers supplies where possible or minimising when not, Leakage strategies to minimise loses and optimise energy use all done in a smooth calm way to stop shocks to the hydraulic system. System Operations is the only department that truly covers the operation of “source to tap” and is fundamental in the delivery of Water Services and interacts with Water Production, Water Networks, Water Quality and Asset Management.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Monitoring and controlling process quality and plant operation to comply with regulations and business standards.
- Maintaining a continuous awareness of asset status; raising work as required.
- Monitoring and manage all alarms to ensure appropriate timely action is taken.
- Delivering ad-hoc reports and information requests accurately and to required timescales.
- Following and complying with company Health & Safety procedures, auditing practices and maintain records.
- Attending Health & Safety Inspections as required with the line manager, and carrying out actions as determined from Health & Safety Action Plan.
- Issuing notifications and exceptions with agreed Control Strategies for planned outages.
- Support reactive work by carrying out risk assessments; liaising with field teams, escalating when required. While ensuring water quality compliance is always adhered to.
- Follow and comply with company health and safety procedures, auditing practices and maintain records.
- Work as part of the wider Water Control team, delivering a 24/7 service to our customers - working with agreed Control Strategies for planned outages.
What’s in it for you:
- A problem solver that works well under pressure.
- Ability to interpret, analyse and use data to deliver operational outcomes.
- Demonstrate a flexible approach to work.
- Understanding of the importance of working within a team and be supportive of the common goal.
- Be open to other opinions within the team to agree on the best outcome.
- An understanding of key company operating procedures relevant to this role is ideal.
- Good communication and customer service skills.
- Passionate about providing exceptional customer service.
- Knowledge of Water industry and regulations is preferred.
- Although not essential experience in water, sewage treatment, transmission/catchment network as well as an understanding of quality management and a record of compliance is preferred.
Being a key worker delivering an essential service to keeping the nation carrying out their business and lives without constraint by maintaining water supplies to millions of people including the capital city.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.