We are looking for a System Operations SCADA Engineer to be employed on a temporary contract basis to cover maternity leave.Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing
. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.What you will be doing
As the SCADA Insight Lead, you will be responsible for using your SCADA experience to support the Water System Operations Control Room team in driving the improvement of Alarm Management across the Water estate. Working closely with stakeholders across the business you will work to implement and embed key principles from Industry-wide guidelines and internal standards on good Alarm Management throughout Water Operations.
Understanding the regulatory and operational requirements of the System Operations team, you will analyse and review existing processes and procedures to ensure wider System Operations team are enabled to deliver on regulatory, operational and end customers’ requirements.
To lead continuous improvement of the capabilities of the System Operations team you will help develop and articulate requirements for system changes to our service providers and work closely with them and other stakeholders to deliver these successfully into the Control Room.
We are seeking an experienced SCADA Engineer to drive improvements for Water System Operations. To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Identifying opportunities for optimising alarm configuration, in line with standards, to reduce risk to Operations in Alarm Response.
- Supporting the Operational Technology Change Management and Risk Assessment procedure by reviewing the incoming configuration for its suitability for the Water System Operations team.
- Engaging with stakeholders in Operations to gather and develop requirements for system changes and working closely with Operational Technology to design and implement these to exploit the functionality of Clear SCADA.
- Providing support to Operations to optimise the use of SCADA systems at our remotely monitored sites.
- Driving the development and maintenance of the Operating Control Standard on Alarm Management and subsequent updates to specific Water alarm standards and procedures. Where issues exist, demonstrate the ability to complete, a thorough investigation using data, analysis, and SME engagement to build a compelling business case that clearly articulates the issues identified and the assessed options to resolve. Work with stakeholders to design, facilitate and deliver change
- Communicate status of work, escalating risks or issues if and where necessary along with suggested mitigating actions where possible.
- Work closely with business leads to deliver actions to agreed cost, time, scope, and quality parameters. Ensuring the ability to measure success is in place. . Follow up on the change to ensure it becomes embedded. Ensure we become a learning and data-led organisation by carrying out post-implementation reviews.
- Act as an extended part of the System Operations leadership team and provide solid technical knowledge to the System Operations team. Support and coach colleagues where they have gaps in knowledge on existing processes and deliver training when changes are implemented.
- Involvement in the investigation of non-compliances and taking a lead in any preventative actions or improvements identified from the investigations. Part of Business Improvement team that leads on delivery of technical innovation within the System Operations team.
- HNC or Degree in Electrical, Control etc with at least 3 years in the specialist area of SCADA & ICA
- Experience in the use of Clear SCADA is beneficial, SCADA systems, in general, is essential
- Ability to build strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Good awareness of key global Alarm Management principles and techniques. Ability to organise and work to a remit and to own initiative
- Familiar with an Operational business environment (ideally Water industry or similar) and background in handling data to inform operational decisions.
- Analytical with strong attention to detail. Apply structure and logic to breaking down problems and solving them. Be able to establish the root cause of problems and identify suitable corrective and preventative solutions
- Ability to communicate complex issues to a wide audience. Ability to communicate technical items to a non-technical audience. Ability to articulate data-driven arguments/issues to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Understanding of change management methodology
- Self-starting with a high degree of personal drive
- Fully competent at using the appropriate Company IT systems and Office software
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we have adopted during the pandemic. We want to create a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles, we are moving to a hybrid approach where we will provide options around working from our offices, our operational sites and home dependent on role/team/individual. This will be discussed during the assessment process.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader and we are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.
You can find out more in our working for us section of our website.