We have an immediate requirement for a Sourcing Manager
to support the delivery of our current inflight capital projects to meet our planned deadlines. These projects require strong candidates who can demonstrate commercial excellence in market engagement, defining specifications, managing complex risks and with a strong understanding of construction delivery models.
This pipeline of exciting major engineering and construction projects will need strong commercial leadership to deliver value for customers both now and into the next century. The major capital projects TW has to develop and deliver in the next 5 to 15 years, will leave a lasting legacy for future generations across London, the South East and the UK.
For the water industry and in particular, for Thames Water with the largest portfolio of water resource assets in the UK, this will be a step change and a fundamental shift in how we conduct our business. Direct procurement for customers (DPC ) will be right at the heart of how the Capital Project procurement team will develop our people to deliver projects in an innovative and groundbreaking manner.
We are looking to engage people to help us shape a leading capital project procurement capability that fulfils this long term exciting vision.
This challenge marks a step-change in the volume and value of capital projects delivered under AMP6, and to deliver this programme requires the Commercial Team to strengthen our capital procurement capacity and capabilities.Key Accountabilities:Sourcing Projects:
- Lead strategy development for specific sourcing projects as allocated by the Business Partner (these will be for major capital (construction) projects and assets but may involve services or a combination of all)
- Create compelling and innovative sourcing strategies which challenge current ways of working and deliver the best value to Thames Water
- Engage the market to develop/form suitable partners to deliver the sourcing strategies
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team through the procurement process with full customer engagement and following Thames Water sourcing methodology
- Demonstrate that sustainability, innovation and risk management, collaboration, health and safety & well-being are effectively considered and managed through each initiative
- Ensure that sourcing projects are delivered on time, achieving optimum risk allocation, best value and fulfilling customers' expectations
- Ensure that audit trails, document and information systems and all supplier information exchanges are effective, with robust confidentiality and traceability, in line with EU legislation
- Demonstrate leadership within the Procurement Team by always striving for the highest standards of professionalism, high energy, commitment and best-practice. Contribute to the delivery of your team’s targets by maintaining a fast pace in all sourcing projects, and challenging others to do the same.
- Work with stakeholders on the responsibilities for contract launch and prepare for either handover or ongoing Contract Management of the Construction delivery contract management as appropriate, ensuring value is delivered through the full project lifecycle
- Develop and manage stakeholder engagement plans for a complex environment across multiple individuals, teams and business units
- Create compelling, well-structured documents and presentations and effectively deliver to all levels of the business (both internally and externally)
- Build a trusted peer relationship with key stakeholders with an ability to engage and influence at senior levels
- Accountable for developing effective relationships with the supply market which generate positive and value-driven outcomes
- Take sole responsibility for the development and refinement of core sourcing documentation and detailed contractual requirements (obligations on Thames Water)
- Interactively tailor the depth of communicated information for specific audiences and situations
- Efficiently manage expenditure and information gathering process by working with the Business Analyst, suppliers and third parties (e.g. research agencies)
- Work with the Business Analyst to identify key insightful findings in order to prepare a comprehensive category profile
- Apply a creative and agile approach to negotiation to deliver outcome (not cost) focused solutions whilst always cognisant of being a representative of Thames Water
- Independently lead complex and sometimes challenging negotiations to a successful conclusion
- Have an in-depth understanding of risk transfer between client and contractor, and focus negotiation approach to achieve an optimal cost-risk balance
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Ability to challenge, review and improve existing (or new) procurement processes as Thames Water adapt to the changing regulatory environment (for example Direct Procurement for Customers DPC)
- Experience of working in a Construction commercial, procurement or contract management role
- Experience in sourcing design, professional services and infrastructure delivery contracts
- Good understanding of standard industry contract forms i.e. NEC, IChemE and/or FIDIC and the risk profiles associated with each
- Contract definition skills and experience adapting and negotiating commercial terms to the benefit of the client
- Demonstrates an understanding of the implications of Utilities Contract Regulations (OJEU) on procurement events
- Good ability to transfer engineering solutions or needs into cost drivers, commercial incentive regimes and resulting contractual arrangements
- Excellent commercial awareness and hunger for the best value
- Experience of stakeholder engagement within a complex multi-site and multi-disciplinary environment
- Comfortable in a position of responsibility with the confidence to make decisive, informed decisions based on the judgment of risk to Client or Contractor.
- Confident in leading and defining direction or making decisions for a small team of peers and/or subject matter experts
- Keen analytical mind and excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
What’s in it for you:
- Understanding of commercial drivers underlying the Ofwat regulatory models
- Experience of strategic sourcing in a multi-stakeholder and multi-site environment
- Excellent and demonstrable strategic sourcing skills – proficient in all aspects of the ‘Strategic Sourcing Cycle’
- Good commercial educational achievement to Degree level or equivalent e.g. RCIS, IACMM, CIPS
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.