- Job Reference: 00016531-1
- Date Posted: 6 May 2022
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
Direct and advise the public, as well as supervise the deposition of the household waste, to ensure that the material is deposited in the correct containers with the aim of maximising recycling and diversion from landfill.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
1) Demonstrate a polite and courteous manner to the public at all times, thereby providing an exemplary customer service.
2) Direct and advise the public, as well as supervise the deposition of the household waste, to ensure that the material is deposited in the correct containers with the aim of maximising recycling and diversion from landfill.
3) Control and direct the flow of traffic within the Centre to ensure the safety of the public at all times.
4) Offer assistance to any persons with loading their waste into the appropriate containers, making sure that all necessary health and safety precautions are taken.
5) Remove any items, so long as it is safe to do so, within the recycling containers to prevent contamination. Under NO circumstances should you climb into a container.
6) Prevent as many recyclables from entering the general waste containers as possible, as well as retrieve where possible any recyclables thrown in the general waste containers. This MUST only be carried out if safe to do so, and under NO circumstances should you climb into a container.
7) To assist the Site Supervisors in controlling and co-ordinating the safe and efficient operation of the Centre in accordance with management instructions, all health & safety Working Procedures and Legislative Requirements, Planning Permissions, Environmental Permit etc. at all times.
8) To be aware of, and conversant with the relevant details of the Environmental Permit, Working Plan, Risk Assessments, COSHH Assessments, Emergency Procedures and other relevant health, safety & environmental documents as directed by the Site Supervisors.
9) All Company issued uniform and appropriate PPE MUST be worn at all times, and you must ensure that this is looked after and stored correctly when not in use.
10) All accidents, near-misses or dangerous situations to be recorded and reported in accordance with FCC’s procedures, including any violence, threats or acts of intimidation against you, as well as any breach of rules, acts of dishonesty, malpractice or corruption by any member of the public, visitor to the site, or member of staff.
11) To unlock and lock the Centre and be responsible for making sure the site is secure and safe.
12) Keep and maintain the Centre facilities provided in a clean and tidy manner, and free from windblown litter, including regular cleaning of gullies and ancillary drainage, grass cutting and weeding around shrubs and trees and pruning where necessary.
13) Ensure that the Centre office and toilets are cleaned regularly and do not contain inappropriate material, or items not approved by either FCC or Vale of Glamorgan Borough Council.
14) Provide and maintain a daily log of events and activities at the Centre, record all visitors other than those depositing waste, as well as keep and maintain such records as are contractually or legally required.
15) Ensure that no unauthorised person is allowed to sort, disturb, remove or interfere with any waste on the Centre.
16) Stack waste materials in containers safely in accordance with safe working procedures.
17) Ensure that suspected or known traders are directed away from the facility
18) To provide a prompt and efficient service to haulage sub-contractors and to assist them wherever safe, practical and necessary.
19) Ensure that all loads leaving the site are in a safe condition.
20) Carry out emergency procedures in relation to fire, spillages and first aid if accidents occur on the site.
21) Record and report any pest, insect or rodent activity.
22) Site signage to be maintained and cleaned regularly.
23) Ensure that all problematic or hazardous waste is prevented from being deposited in the containers. All Asbestos must be directed to the dedicated container where applicable.
24) Apply salt to all frozen areas that constitute a hazard to the public, staff and on-site contractors.
25) Ensure all site containers are available to the public throughout the day by carrying out regular checks on their levels and notifying your Supervisor. This will allow any full containers to be collected and replaced with an empty container in a timely manner.
26) Ensure all containers are functioning in a safe and satisfactory manner and are securely fastened prior to use.
27) Use all tools and equipment in a safe manner and ensure all tools and equipment are stored away after use, as well as secured at the end of the working day.
28) Remove all fly-tipped material immediately outside the gates to the Centre and deposit in the appropriate containers.
• Ideally have experience working within the industry particularly HWRCs, but not essential
• Competent plant operator but not essential
Personal attributes and other requirements
• Ability to approach public and ask if they need assistance
• Courteous towards customers, clients and colleagues
• Commitment to delivering high levels of customer service.
• Sufficiently resilient and robust to effectively manage third parties.
• Good timekeeper
• Must be able to work by alone or as a team.
• Must be honest and hardworking.
• Must be prepared to work Weekends and Bank Holidays