- Job Reference: 00016427-1
- Date Posted: 17 November 2021
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
To provide a helpful, courteous and professional service to the public by helping them to dispose of their waste, whilst trying to maximise recycling. The Centre is to be maintained and operated in accordance with the Environmental Permit, Planning Permission, all FCC Group policies, along with any schemes or initiatives brought in by FCC and Wiltshire County Council.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
• Work in compliance with Group Safe Working Procedures and ensure you work safely at all times.
• To comply with all company policies and procedures in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the machinery
• Ensure that all actions maintain a safe and healthy environment for self, colleagues and customers
• Help to maintain high level of housekeeping on site.
• Demonstrate a polite and courteous manner to the public at all times, thereby providing an exemplary customer service to the Council and the public.
• Demonstrate good communication skills towards the Area Supervisor, Manager, Site Staff, Council, Environment Agency and the Public.
• Direct and advise the public, as well as supervise the deposition of the household waste, to ensure that the material is deposited in the correct containers with the aim of maximising recycling and diversion from landfill.
• To be aware of, and conversant with the relevant details of the Waste Management Licence, Working Plan, Risk Assessments, COSHH Assessments, Emergency Procedures and other relevant health, safety & environmental documents as directed by the Area Supervisor.
• Ensure all accidents, near-misses or dangerous situations are recorded and reported to your Area Supervisor or Manager.
• Control and direct the flow of traffic within the centre to ensure the safety of the public at all times.
• Offer assistance to any persons with loading there waste into the appropriate containers, making sure that all necessary Health & Safety precautions are taken.
• Remove any items, so long as it is safe to do so, within the recycling containers to prevent contamination. Under NO circumstances should you climb into a container.
• Prevent as many recyclables from entering the general waste containers as possible, as well as retrieve where possible any recyclables thrown in the general waste containers. This MUST only be carried out if safe to do so, and under NO circumstances should you climb into a container.
• All company issued uniform and appropriate PPE MUST be worn at all times including name badge.
• All accidents, near misses or dangerous situations to be recorded and reported in accordance with Group’s procedures, including any violence, threats or acts of intimidation against you.
• To unlock and lock the centre and be responsible for making sure the site is secure and safe during site opening hours.
• Keep and maintain the centre facilities provided in a clean and tidy manner, and free from windblown litter, including regular cleaning of gullies and ancillary drainage, grass cutting and weeding around shrubs and trees and pruning where necessary and safe to do so.
• Ensure that the centre office and toilets are cleaned regularly and does not contain inappropriate material, or items not approved by either the Group or client Authority.
• Provide and maintain a daily log of events and activities at the centre, record all visitors other than those depositing waste and keep such records as are contractually or legally required.
• Ensure that no unauthorised person is allowed to sort, disturb, remove or interfere with any waste on the Centre.
• Carry out any reasonable and safe duties assigned to you by your Supervisor or Manager.
• Ideally have experience working within the industry particularly HWRCs, but not essential.
• Ideally have experience of managing a small team.
• Experience of operating and working with heavy plant preferred.
• Experience of working in an environment where safety has been given top priority.
• Computer literate.
• Good communication and numerate skills.
• Positive attitude to and demonstrable drive to improve health and safety and compliance.
• Excellent time keeping is essential.
• IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent is highly desirable
• Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
• Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
Personal attributes and other requirements
• Capable of leading by example and motivating others within team to raise standards and improve performance in all areas.
• Hands on and practical approach to the smooth and efficient running of all operations and contracts activities.
• Commitment and determination to meet personal and contract objectives in a timely manner.
• To act on own initiative but listen to the advice and requirements of others.
• Flexibility with working hours and weekends will be expected.
• Ability to work individually, and as part of the team.
• Good communication skills.
• Courteous and polite.
• Location – Based Salisbury, Stephenson Road, Churchfields Industrial Estate, SP2 7NP
• Working hours – 35.88 hours spread over 5 days from Saturday to Wednesday.
• Hours of work will be November to March 9.30am to 4.00pm, April to October 8.30am to 4.30pm
Any other reasonable request.