- Job Reference: 00010288-1
- Date Posted: 1 April 2021
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
Acting under the direction of the Shift Manager the Shift Operator will ensure safe and efficient operation of all production activities at the Greatmoor EFW plant. In doing so they will be promoting a culture of maximum plant reliability, flexibility and availability. This is to be achieved whilst attaining high standards of Quality, Health & Environmental performance.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
1. Health, Safety & Environment
• Safe and efficient operation of the plant during steady state, start up, shutdown and emergency situations as directed by the Shift Manager from a Central Control Room and/or on the plant as required by the operational demands of the plant.
• Ensure day to day compliance with all aspects of the Environmental Permit, reporting any non-compliance or incident to the Shift Manager.
• Work within the company's Health & Safety, Quality and Environmental System and all relevant legislation.
• To be authorised under the safety rules to the level of Authorised Person to apply isolation, locks and safety tags.
• Carrying out responsibilities as defined in the companies Safety Rules and associated procedures.
• Participate in company/site HSE initiatives including the HSE forum activities.
• Implementing the company's health, safety and environmental management policies and actively participate in company/site HSE initiatives including the HSE forum activities, including procedure reviews on a periodic basis.
2. Team working
• Working within a small team with the focus on motivation and people values.
• Contribute towards the team effort, encourage team spirit and provide assistance to others.
• Taking an active role within the team regarding the decision making processes.
• Maintain and develop industrial relations through effective communications.
• Periodically act as a contact between FCC Environment and external contract companies.
• Communicate effectively with other departments within FCC Environment.
3. Key Activities
• Carry out routine plant inspections and adjustments / operations as required collecting and recording plant data.
• Full understanding of P&IDs.
• Carrying out Operational Procedures to ensure that plant is in a fit and correct state for return to service following maintenance, outage or other prolonged shutdown.
• Responding to first line and breakdown maintenance requirements as far as background and experience permits. Assisting maintenance functions in any such maintenance.
• Undertake continuing personal development to enhance knowledge & skills relevant to
• Participating in department training and development.
• Writing/amending site Operational procedures, implementing changes and improvements as required ensuring all procedures are relevant and accurate.
• Carrying out simple analysis of steam cycle chemistry and implementing corrective actions to dosing and blowdown systems.
• Defined responsibilities in responding to site emergencies.
• Shift logging to ensure quality defect reporting and writing along with the reviewing of operational work specifications.
• To work flexible working patterns in support of the business.
• Ensure strict compliance with software and plant modification procedures and directives.
• Assist in outage planning, scheduling and co-ordination.
• Supporting other UK business if the need arises.
• To be on call and change working patterns where necessary in order to meet the needs of the business.
• Work towards multi-skilling activities associated with Electrical C&I and Mechanical duties, including assisting maintenance staff as required - Relevant training will be provided.
• Building and maintaining a culture of team work where team member's progress
towards Operational and Maintenance dual skilling and want to contribute to their full potential.
• Able to safely operate a Counterbalance Forklift Truck, front Load mechanical shovel
and grab crane. (Training will be offered to suitable candidates).
• ONC/City and Guilds/NVQ Level 3 in craft skill or process/thermal production operations. This will include a good level of practical Operational/Maintenance experience/knowledge(Qualifications below this may be acceptable if accompanied by suitable experience).
• A good understanding of all HSE aspects is a fundamental requirement, IOSH managing safely is preferable.
• 5 years process industry experience or knowledge of power generation operations and maintenance associated with Steam turbines, boilers, balance of plant, electrical generation and distribution up to 33kV, plant control and instrumentation.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
• Familiar with a number of computer applications.
• Good interpersonal skills, self-motivated, flexible and committed attitude.
• Communication and motivational skills.
• At least 3 years in power generation industry operations and maintenance. Exposure to heavy process plant maintenance activity.
• Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
• Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
• City and Guilds/NVQ Level 3 in process/thermal production/ operations, or agreed combination of technical qualification and experience.
• At least 3 years' experience in power generation/process industry operations and/or maintenance role.
• Experience of working in a technically challenging environment.
• Computer literate
Personal attributes and other requirements
• The individual will need to be a self-motivated individual with exceptional organisational and interpersonal skills. The individual must be suited to a culture which is entrepreneurial fast paced, value-driven, and with very high corporate performance and ethical standards. The individual will need to be very comfortable working in a lean structure, should be highly customer focused, possess strong ethical and moral standards and be willing to assume significant personal accountability.
• The ability to work unsupervised and take responsibility during dynamic situations.
• Completer/Finisher able to deliver results on schedule.
• Potential for promotion, within the Company, to Shift Manager or other position.
• Affable and flexible personality.
• Excellent work ethic.
• Detail oriented.
Any other reasonable request.