About the role:
This key role will be responsible for leading a technical team to deliver one of our major complex engineering infrastructure projects up to £100m in value. As a Senior Technical Manager, you’ll develop, build, and lead the multi-disciplined team necessary to ensure the success of your project(s) and/or programmes.
Reporting to the Programme Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for several complex engineering projects to drive best value de-risked solutions from project feasibility through solution development, design and procurement, working seamlessly with Construction Management in ensuring successful delivery through to handover and transfer to operational BAU.
You’ll be responsible for developing and delivering all key project technical objectives that deliver business case objectives You will play a key role in ensuring projects delivery to time, cost and quality objectives as well as ensuring strong health, safety and wellbeing, as well as delivery, focussed culture.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Lead and taking full project accountability of all technical aspects throughout the project lifecycle; ensuring a smooth transition of delivered assets into Business as Usual assets for our operational business.
- Development of process design engineering solutions and strategies with a view of successful “whole-plant” engineering solutions and interventions.
- Development of project briefs, including supplementary information for the subsequent early contractor involvement phase of the project.
- Technically lead successful strategies to town & country planning, including management of town planning and environmental professional services contractor(s) which enables seamless integration of engineering solution development, procurement, project, and contract delivery.
- Development and definition of the tender package(s), including the definition of the scope of works to support the Procurement team through each stage of the tender process, ensuring the demanding timescales are met.
- Manage and lead the ‘route to consent’ strategy for the project, highlighting programme and project risks relating to consents required, including consideration of any potential ‘early works’.
- Accountable for the project's technical delivery, ensuring strong health, safety, and well-being culture.
- Work closely and collaboratively with commercial teams to ensure that timescales are met.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team and owning the technical requirements and strategies in defining a communications plan for the project.
- Act as the technical authority in all project matters relevant to town planning authorities and other key stakeholders to ensure the smooth running of the project.
- Drive continuous improvement in technical outputs against stretching targets.
What’s in it for you?
- An engineering or other relevant degree (or equivalent) and chartered status.
- With a track record of managing successful relevant activities, e.g. capital projects you will be experienced in delivering quality work with an excellent customer focus.
- The ability to influence key internal and external stakeholders at a senior level.
- The ability to understand, assimilate and articulate everything in the business strategy, business case and brief to ensure that it is captured and delivered through the project and engineering solution.
- Early identification of change and risk issues, with a focus on accuracy, is key to success, as is anticipation (no surprises) and early mitigation of risk.
- Confident in demonstrating your capability with risk-based and analytical decision making.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, along with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and experience of delivering major engineering infrastructure projects up to £100m in value, in an infrastructure regulatory environment (ideally the water industry).
- Excellent technical acumen (including effluent and sludge streams, electrical, mechanical and automation experience) and excellent leadership skills across multi-disciplined teams.
- Process design engineering capability and knowledge including advanced treatment processes, such as IFAS, MBR, SBR, Nereda, THP, and Pyrolysis.
- Experience in writing project briefs and technical specifications to support tender events.
- Experience in the compilation of supplementary information for inclusion in the project brief.
- Excellent communication skills and customer service ethic.
- Self-starting, resilient and tenacious under pressure, with a desire to successfully deliver projects to time, cost, and quality.
- Experience in delivering projects through full planning and environmental impact assessment is desirable.
- A great team player with the ability to work collaboratively in a challenging project environment.
- Fully competent in using the appropriate company IT systems.
This is a challenging and exciting role, for which we are looking for proactive and engaging individuals who can drive projects forward. With the help of the team who work alongside you, this role will enable you to make an impact on our long-term ambitions; through the delivery of one or more of our major projects. Technical leadership, ownership and accountability are key. Success will be measured in how we deliver our projects to the business case and how we ensure smooth integration into our operational business as usual.
Our competitive salary and package include a competitive bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday. There is also a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefit on Tap. We also have a referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days of paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.