Engineering Your Future to leave a legacy
Lift the lid of the UK water industry and you might be surprised with what you find – we are changing like never before! In the drive to deliver more environmental sustainability, we are seeking to become one of the biggest producers of green energy in the UK, we have some of the most complex assets in the country built by some of the most famous Victorians.About the role:
Major Projects are responsible for delivering large complex single-site projects >£30m in value. Once a need has been validated, the Major Projects Team are responsible for the Definition, Outline Design, Execution and Closedown Stages.
Each project will typically require 12-18 months to complete all activities up to the award of the main contract with the design and build contract subsequently being delivered over a number of years. During the pre-contract period, we will need to complete a study, consider the options and feasibility of the solution, develop the procurement strategy, reference solution and procure and award the main contract.
Following the award, we will work collaboratively with the main contractor to ensure the works are effectively delivered.
In this key role, you will initially be responsible for providing commercial management and assurance for several projects’, supporting the Project Managers and their teams on all commercial aspects of the project prior to the main contract being awarded. A wide range of commercial activities is required such as to estimate development, risk management, commercial reporting and commercial support during the procurement stage. Following the award, you will be responsible for the commercial management of the project.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Monthly Cost Forecasting/Reporting
- Estimating: Manage the cost estimating process using our Estimating Team.
- Procurement Support: Obtain and review quotes for works and services.
- Contract Management: Contract administration including change management.
- Commercial Assurance: Ensure value for money, review monthly payment applications and invoices and ensure that payments are made on time and in accordance with the Contract.
- Governance: Ensure we maintain within financial governance at all times.
- Dispute Advice: Resolving claims as required, providing commercial advice and guidance.
- Guidance: As the Senior member of the commercial team provide commercial advice and guidance to other team members as required.
What’s in it for you?Our benefits & competitive salary package includes:
- A degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent is required for this role.
- Chartered Quantity Surveyor or at later stages of assessment.
- This role requires someone who is enthusiastic and can take ownership of tasks, think on their feet, devise plans of action and deliver effective solutions.
- The ability to work semi-autonomously and be professional.
- It is essential that you are inquisitive and have meticulous attention to detail.
- The ability to hold your ground and offer reasoned advice in a fast-paced environment.
- In-depth knowledge of infrastructure and the water industry is preferable.
- Excellent commercial and contractual knowledge is required.
- Excellent negotiation and dispute resolution skills required.
- Excellent appreciation of costs and risks associated with the delivery of projects.
- Knowledge of the water industry and business knowledge is preferable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-starter, resilient and able to cope under pressure.
- An excellent contributory pension
- 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service.
- This includes an annual pay review,
- Season ticket loans,
- Voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets,
- Loyalty awards for continuous service
- Our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.