Base Location – Hinckley
ROLE TYPE – 6 Month Fixed Term Contract
SALARY - £37,464
Here at Cadent we’re at the start of an exciting journey of transformation, growth and evolution. We’re new but we’re 200 years old. (You might have known us as part of National Grid but now we’ve transformed ourselves to Cadent). We’re the UK’s largest gas network connecting and keeping energy flowing to our customer’s 12 million homes and businesses across the UK.
We’re proud of our story so far and we’re super powered up about what our future holds. That’s where you come in! Join us as a Senior Buyer and start a transformation journey adding real purpose and direction to your career and feel genuinely proud about what you do.
Please note: Cadent cannot support any applications for visa sponsorship for this role.
All applicants must have an unrestricted right to work for an indefinite period in the UK.
About the Role
As a Senior Buyer you will be responsible for daily strategic procurement operations within the business area that you are aligned to. The role will assist the Head of Commercial in Capital Delivery through development of Category Strategies identifying future commercial opportunities and direction. This will involve engaging and building strong working relationships with stakeholders to identify business needs and then ensuring we understand the supply chains so we can offer the best solutions for Cadent.
The Senior Buyer is accountable for delivery of multiple strategic sourcing events within their portfolio, working with stakeholders to understand and challenge demand, setting sourcing strategy and delivering events from market engagement through to award.
This fixed term role is specifically to cover the Project Services Category and Sourcing Events.
- Develop and deliver the Category Strategy
- Profile category characteristics, research supply markets, suppliers and trends, and identify opportunities and risks
- Deliver value by effectively managing tender events for key products required by the business
- Identify future requirement and plan accordingly and effectively
- Lead engagement of key stakeholders both internally and externally
- Scope and develop regional/global contractual agreements that meet the regional/global category/customer
- Support supplier relationship management and contract relationship management
- Engage in implementation of procurement change initiatives
- Run complex or high value sourcing events with minimal support
- Promote a positive safety culture through visible proactive, consistent and influential behaviours
- Keep the company safe by co-operating with others to ensure a co-ordinated approach to promote a clear understanding of each party’s duties, roles and responsibilities for Safety and Wellbeing
- Report all incident, near misses, hazards, taking action as necessary to control hazard as appropriate
You will possess the following skills, knowledge and qualifications:
- Experience of strategic sourcing and category management
- An understanding of project management principles and ideally evidence of managing multiple projects and consistently delivering outstanding results
- Ability to prepare for and to lead negotiations
- Experience of contract managing a portfolio of suppliers
- Experience using analytical tools and techniques
- Experience of presenting data to support informed business decisions
- Good presentation skills
- Good working understanding of EU and utility procurement directives ideally supported by evidence of running a competitive compliant tender process
- Good commercial acumen
- Good understanding of contract drafting principles
- Experience of utilising creative and innovative ideas to deliver procurement solutions
- Skilled at working within multi-disciplinary teams
- Contribution to process improvements across a business in order to improve customer buying experience
- Demonstrable experience of running at least 1 high complexity/value or several medium complexity/value events from start to finish
- Experience leading the development of complex/high value category specific commercial strategies
- Proven track record of managing multiple projects and consistently delivering results
- Demonstrable experience of preparation for and lead of complex negotiations
- Strong project management skills
- Evidence of taking the lead on process improvement project and able to articulate results
- Ability to build and manage complex commercial assessment models
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand, manage and present data
- Experience of contract development, including the ability to make recommendations and amendments to existing contracts as well as drafting new ones
- Possess innovation, drive and enthusiasm
- Use initiative and influence to deliver new commercial solutions to the organisation
- Motivate themselves and others, with a positive and professional attitude
- A results-oriented individual who thrives on challenging timelines
- Strong commercial acumen, not necessarily gained in a procurement environment, coupled with the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
At Cadent we’ve got a whole host of standard and flexible benefits. You’ll get 25 days holiday + statutory days with the option to buy/sell also, a generous pension plan as well as the opportunity to earn bonus. Flexible benefits include: cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car, insurance and healthcare packages plus access to our Occupational Health services.
Diversity and Inclusion
Cadent has a commitment to Diversity and Inclusion - the more diverse our organisation is, the more able we are to respond to and reflect our communities in all their diversity. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from people with a diverse variety of backgrounds; age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief.
We want our employees to achieve a work life balance and are happy to discuss flexible working options with you if the role can accommodate it.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application process, please let us know. We’re committed to be Disability Confident in line with the Department For Work and Pensions scheme.
Be part of something big. Help shape the future of gas for generations to come