Quantity Surveyor - Fixed Term Contract 4-6 months About the role:
This is a supporting role to the Principle Property Surveyor in leading the delivery of Thames Water’s property interests within our Thames Tideway Tunnel infrastructure programme and ensuring that we operate within regulatory performance commitments setting out maximisation of lane value (ET06) and acceptance of sites being handed back from the Tideway project to Thames Water (ET07).
This is an opportunity to work on a large-scale infrastructure project with over 1400 property interests, c£300m of property disposals, six new foreshore sites across London and 14 Public Realm sites in total. This role will be instrumental within a dynamic programme, so we are looking for someone who is able to work to tight timescales and work within a changing environment. The successful candidate will be comfortable working under pressure with exceptional stakeholder engagement and project management skills.
This is a key role within the Thames Tideway Property team and will support the Principal Property Surveyor in delivering all programme objectives. The candidate will be someone who comes with the solid property and corporate real estate experience and has experience of property managed leasing, acquisition and disposals at a portfolio level. Previous experience of working with foreshore properties, developments and working wharves would be advantageous.Key Accountabilities:
- Technical due diligence of the impact of retained and temporary works
- Satisfy Thames Water’s obligations under the DCO and s106 commitments
- Provide estimated valuations of land parcels, sites and building and verify third party valuations
- Identify any technical issues with the building or land and identify responsibility for remediation
- Identify current use, potential use and new opportunities
- Ensure that we are compliant with legislation, planning restrictions, legal agreements and health and safety
- Manage our Tideway rental portfolio, ensure that our tenants are compliant with lease covenants
- Understand and rationally challenge proposed compensation payments
- Fully understand existing contracts and our obligations, risks and opportunities.
- Contribute to and support the documentation of the Tideway property strategy for all Tideway sites, including the four key Tideway driver sites (valued at £300m) and all parcels of land to be hand back to Thames Water
- Actively contribute to the delivery of the performance commitments ET06 and ET07
- Through forensic analysis of the Property portfolio, identify real estate opportunities that will demonstrate and realise the best value for Thames Water customers
- Maintain an up to date pipeline of strategic opportunities and an up to date risk register documenting the potential risks and mitigations
- Carry out market research and development of market intelligence and knowledge to support the Tideway property strategy
- Build sustainable and collaborative working relationships with all key stakeholders including Thames Water, Thames Integration Group (TIG) and Tideway teams, Local Authorities & London Borough Councils, regulated bodies, development partners and neighbours
- Contribute to documenting stakeholder engagement strategies for key external stakeholders, such as the Port of London Authority and London Borough Councils
- Work collaboratively with our property agent/service provider
- Responsible for preparing in advance for client meetings, recording minutes of those meetings and carrying out any actions arising
- Preparation and support for client meetings
- Undertake market research & benchmarking, develop market intelligence and knowledge
- Preparation of marketing reports for disposals
- Carry out property searches and provide comprehensive advice to the leadership team
- Track Programme and Project progress, ensuring that actions are complete on time, the risk register is up to date and accurate and report delivery against key milestones
- Support the Principal Property Surveyor in the preparation of reports to key stakeholders and the leadership team
- Responsible for preparing data and presentation for performance review meetings with the Head of Property – Estates and Tideway
- Working collaboratively within the Ventures team and wider Thames Water, providing advice on likely constraints and opportunities
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Providing management, leadership and development of people in a culture of accountability and achievement
- Actively protecting, managing and enhancing the reputation of Ventures and wider Thames Water business to external customers and stakeholders
What’s in it for you:
- Property/Corporate Real Estate qualification
- Solid experience in commercial real estate surveying
- Excellent proven commercial and contractual acumen
- Experience of supporting cross-business and multi-disciplinary teams
- Project management experience and understanding of project methodologies
- Development experience would be advantageous
- Strong technical understanding of property and corporate real estate surveying
- Strong and demonstrable numeric and analytical skills
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to produce material to a high quality and for executive/director level audiences
- Authentic leadership character; with some leadership skills and experience
- Excellent communication, influencing and report writing skills
- Ability to build collaborative and sustainable relationships
- Strong commercial approach with a good level of contract knowledge
- Decisions based on objective analysis, experience and common sense; seek information beyond the problem to gain added perspective
- Proactively leads and drives change for commercial advantage, has lived through and learned to adapt to a major change
- Able to solve complex planning issues through critical thinking and forensic analysis
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.