Platform Engineer (AWS, Azure, Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes) working with big data.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Platform Engineer to work with a group of talented forward-thinking engineers working on automated code builds and deployment, infrastructure as code and supporting some of the best software development tools. We are evolving a Data Platform based AWS/Azure cloud services and open-source components to support Centrica's core products.
As a Platform Engineer you will be working closely with other technology teams you will be instrumental in delivering robust, flexible data platforms to a wide ranging team of analysts, data scientists and developers. You will be well versed in using terraform, CI/CD tooling, configuration management using Ansible, code repositories based on GIT, a good level of Linux system admin experience and a high degree of coding skills using Python, Bash and Go. A good grounding in big data batch and streaming solutions are always going to be a bonus.
- The Platform Engineer will drive best in practice and field approaches to the build and maintenance of Big Data estate platforms
- Plan, manage, and perform upgrades on all Data Services related infrastructure as required
- Ensure Centrica Big Data Platform SLAs are achievable and met
- Building and setting up new development tools.
- Work alongside Platform Engineers to help build robust, scalable and secure solutions
- Interact with a variety of business stakeholders to attain the right operational solution
- Work with the Platform Engineering Manager to ensure the systems and products delivered operate within the budgets for operational expenditure.
Capabilities, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Experience of having worked within SysAdmin / Operations / DevOps / SRE
- Experience delivering operational solutions using a range of language and tools. Python and Linux scripting skills are a must. Exposure to JVM based languages and environments is also highly beneficial
- Experienced in *nix especially open source Linux distributions such as Ubuntu
- Experience with configuration management tools e.g. Ansible, Terraform and Cloud Formation
- Ideally have experience of NoSQL.
- Knowledgeable in the area of continuous delivery and continuous integration, using standard tools such as CodePipeline, Jenkins, TeamCity, GIT, Maven, Gradle etc
- Own the operational process for the team, enabling out of hours incidents to be resolved quickly and with minimum downtime
- Comfortable writing tools and other software with any language but especially java, python or ruby
- The Platform Engineer should have a good understanding of network security, firewalls, ACL's and IDS
- Knowledge of user management systems integration e.g. AD, LDAP, OAuth,