Mechanical Maintenance Craftsman
- Job Reference: 00008894-1
- Date Posted: 11 February 2021
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: Maidstone, Kent
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
All employees to take care for their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Additionally, employees must also co-operate with the company to enable it to discharge its own responsibilities successfully.
Responsible for the implementation and execution of all corrective, preventative and predictive maintenance in all areas of the process.
Direct liaison with the Mechanical/Electrical Team Leaders to ensure that the maintenance department delivers a safe, effective and efficient service to the Operations department.
Assist in the strategic development of the maintenance philosophy at Allington by implementing new maintenance techniques and procedures directed at increasing the overall plant availability in line with budget expectations.
Strive to introduce best practice and “right first time philosophy” within the maintenance department, looking to design issues out to prevent reoccurrence.
Direct supervision/liaison with sub-contractors either as a general additional maintenance resource or through specific maintenance contracts.
Implementation and development of the site CMMS to involve direct liaison with the Mechanical/Electrical Team Leaders, Engineering Manager, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer and DCS/Controls Engineer.
To be directly involved in the planning stages of all planned outages to ensure outage time schedules and specific maintenance programmes are completed on time and within budget.
To deputise for the Mechanical Team Leader when required.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
1. Health and Safety
• Ensure that all activities within the Allington site are carried out in a safe manner in line with FCC safety policy and all Health and Safety statutory requirements.
• Carry out risk assessments to ensure activities are completed in a safe manner at all times.
• Working as part of a team striving for continual improvement in minimising Health and Safety risk at the Allington EFW plant.
• Ensure visitors/subcontractors attending the site are inducted in the site safety and emergency procedures.
• Ensure that the sites housekeeping standards are achieved and developed
• To ensure that the implementation and use of specific tool box talks are carried out consistently and documented accordingly
• Act as the Authorised / Nominated Person within the limits of their competence when required to carry out work safely.
2. Plant development
• Strive to introduce best practice and “right first time philosophy” within the maintenance department
• Assist in the implementation of equipment upgrades and replacement in line with the agreed process priorities
• Be a key member in the planning, execution and completion of the annual planned outages on each of the 3 lines
• Become actively involved in all statutory inspections of the plant and equipment on an annual basis
• Be actively involved in the day to day use of, implementation and the development of the company CMMS. This to involve the raising of purchase requisitions using the company cost code structure.
3. Team working
• Manage and contribute towards the team effort, encouraging team spirit and provide assistance to others.
• Encourage employee involvement in the decision making processes.
• Ideally 5 to 10 years’ previous experience within the Power, Paper, Cement or Energy from Waste industries.
• Experience with preventative/predictive maintenance techniques (vibration analysis, laser alignment, thermography, oil analysis)
• Experience of working with steam turbines and generators preferred
• Crane maintenance experience
• Good knowledge of lifting operations and lifting equipment
• Previous CMMS experience
• Previous hydraulics experience
• Recognised Apprenticeship from similar industry, or HNC in mechanically biased subject
• IOSH or NEBOSH safety accreditation
• Role based qualifications including rigger/linger or mobile plant
Personal attributes and other requirements
• The ability to be able to manage numerous sub-contractors in a planned outage environment
• Good communication skills at all levels both verbally and written.
• Ability to demonstrate excellent organisational skills.
• Have a willingness and ability to operate flexibly over a wide range of work areas.