We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
UK Power Networks
UK Power Networks is the country’s biggest electricity distributor, making sure the lights stay on for more than eight million homes and businesses across London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks continues to be listed in the Sunday Times’ Top 25 Best Big Companies to Work For, as well as the Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers, and made industry history by becoming first company to win Utility of the Year two years running (2015 and 2016, also 2012). The company is accredited in the Investors in People Platinum and Nation Equality Standard.
The company invests more than £600 million in its electricity networks every year, offers extra help to vulnerable customers at times of need, and is undertaking trials to ensure that electricity networks support the transition to a low carbon future. It also moves cables and connects new electricity supplies.
The position will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of Distribution Capital Delivery projects and / or restoration of electrical supplies on the UK Power Networks distribution system. To assist in all site based operations as instructed by line manager.
- Carries out all work in connection with the construction, maintenance and report of
- Overhead lines and any associate plant and equipment, connections, and earthing, including cable laying and necessary excavation, backfill and reinstatement
- Overhead line service lines, pilots and catenaries, service termination equipment and connections thereto
- Carry out works in line with UK Power Networks policies, procedures and standards.
- Immediately report to line manager any breaches of health and safety regulations or unsafe occurrences.
- Carries out work on live 240/415v apparatus conductors or equipment as required, in accordance with the appropriate safety rules.
- Uses meters and instruments and records readings. Assists in resistance, thermal and height measurements on overhead lines.
- Operates communications/data transmission and display equipment. In particular the mobile device solution for BTP.
- Operates mechanical aids and uses portable equipment, ensuring all Small Tools are fit for use.
- Switches, isolates and earths when authorised to do so.
- Undertakes standby duties
- Remove all traffic management, old poles and any leftover debris or spoil from site. Leaving it in a safe condition for the general public and other workers.
- Assist in maintaining yards and pole dump areas to keep them running efficiently and safely.
- Ensure all given works are carried out in a timely manner.
- Report any deviation from requested tasks immediately to line manager.
- Promote UK Power Networks in a professional manner to both the general public and other UKPN teams.
- Carry out works in line with UK Power Networks customer service standards in relation to shut down carding and customer appointments.
- To approach and resolve any customer issues arising on site with professionalism with the help of line manager.
- Ensure regular communication with managers to understand work progress and planned future work.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues and be a good team player who supports colleagues and reacts to the priorities of the team and wider Business departments.
- Accurately return time sheets.
- Complete and return any required vehicle logs or mileage reports requested by line manager.
- Drives vehicles, cleans them and carries out roadworthiness checks.
- Comply with and actively promotes Company policies, procedures and standards
- Undertake all duties as required, in a professional and courteous manner, demonstrating best practice
- Actively promote and partake in team and company activities, by being flexible and willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as required
- Carry out additional and reasonable job related tasks as requested by your manager, in line with the needs of the business.
Knowledge, skills qualifications and experience;
- UK Power Networks competency certificate
- LV and HV authorised
- First aid training certificate
- Knowledge of industry
- Experience of working with general public
- Experience of working within a team
- Switching and Linking
- C&G qualification
- Manual handling training certificate
- NRSWA training certificate
Please Note: Internal candidates are eligible to apply for internal positions once they have successfully completed any contractual probationary period.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.