Internal Auditor (preferably with Engineering background)
Location: Flexible – currently remote working. Head Office is based in Horley. At present the team has a presence across Horley, Reading, Havant, Kent and Glasgow. Some travel may be required.
Salary: Personal Contract (dependent on experience)
Position type: Full time
SGN Legal Services
In SGN Legal Services we put people, relationships & culture at the heart of what we do.
We strive to always innovate and find solutions that deliver impactful outcomes. We also recognise the integral role we play in governing and protecting our stakeholders, communities and company. With this in mind, we promote compliance, ethics & governance and provide advice that enables informed decision-making to reduce risk and protect the organisation. We are passionate and energised about transformation to deliver continuous improvement.
Our vision is to be your legal service provider of choice by always delivering service excellence, providing the best experience to everyone who connects with us, and thriving as a team.
WE NEED YOU
An excellent opportunity has become available to join our growing in-house legal team and the SGN Scotia Gas Networks Limited’s group of companies (SGN) at an exciting time in which you will help us build our shared future and transform the future of gas.
Our Legal Services team is headed up by Nicola Graham-Shand, Director of Legal Services and Group Company Secretary for SGN. Nicola reports into the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the Executive Committee which puts her in a pivotal position to lead the team.
The team itself is split into the following divisions: Governance & Company Secretary, Risk, Audit & Compliance, Land Rights and Legal. Legal is split into Property & Networks, Commercial & Construction and Corporate Services and IT.
We’re on a journey to transform the future of gas. Keeping our customers safe and warm is what we do but beyond that, we want to make the world a better place, which is why we’re passionate about helping in our communities, reducing our carbon footprint and driving innovation in our industry.
At SGN, we strive to sustain our world through managing the network that distributes natural and green gas across Scotland, Southern England and Northern Ireland. We are responsible for keeping the gas flowing to 14 million people in homes and businesses. Your work directly impacts SGN’s commitments to keeping our customers’ homes and businesses safe.
SGN also has a number of rapidly growing unregulated business’ spanning across renewable energy, property development and disposal, smart metering and field force digital transformation.
You will conduct internal audits across SGN businesses to provide objective and independent assurance on the design and effectiveness of processes and controls that mitigate significant business risk. You will provide recommendations that drive effective and efficient controls and processes, drawing on best practices to support in our focus on continuous improvement. The role will offer a varied mix of work across both the regulated and unregulated businesses. You will have opportunities for interaction with individuals at all levels of the business including the Executive.
- Develop and maintain strong and positive relationships with key stakeholders and maintain a thorough knowledge of the business and regulatory environment.
- Manage co-source resources, where required, to deliver the audit work in a way that maximises value for money.
- Continuously work with the Head of Audit and Compliance to avoid surprises, ensure audit progression and support the production of reports e.g. for Committees.
- Promote shared learning across the organisation, lead regular planning and review meetings with assigned stakeholders to share themes from audits completed and understand evolving risks and challenges to inform future audit coverage.
- Provide controls advice outside of audit delivery activities whilst maintaining independence.
Govern & Protect
- Deliver assigned programme of audits to professional, ethical and quality standards within allocated time, using judgement to define the scope, terms of reference and testing approach to ensure that key risks are addressed.
- Produce audit deliverables that are well written and effectively communicate the agreed scope of work, key findings and recommendations of each audit.
- Own and manage a portfolio of audit actions being worked upon by the business and, on business completion, assess the effectiveness of activities undertaken to address the risks identified.
- Perform investigations and special projects, for example, in response to specific business events or business change initiatives.
- Support the legal services transformation by proactively looking for areas of improvement during the audit process and provide value adding and insightful recommendations that address control and process opportunities and issues.
- Support the Legal Services transformation by developing processes and documentation that ensure SGN’s audit provision is more efficient.
- Enhance the team’s core technical expertise by continuously developing in your area of expertise and expanding your knowledge and understanding in other areas across the function.
- Cross flex across the team and support in other non-specialise areas as necessary, including providing additional support to the compliance function as required.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Experience of successfully managing a portfolio of audits and/or compliance and/or assurance activities
- Gas Industry and/or Engineering experience
- A degree, HND or foundation degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant subject, including (but not limited to): accountancy, economics, business, finance, or engineering; and/or
- A recognised professional designation in Internal Auditing or Accounting
- Solid understanding of risk and control concepts, with the ability to apply these concepts to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of business processes and controls;
- An ability to work autonomously and use your own initiative, work effectively on your own and as part of a team;
- Analytical thinking and attention to detail;
- Strong ethical standards and high levels of integrity;
- The ability to think objectively and demonstrate sound judgement;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Good organisation and facilitation skills;
- Resilience under pressure
- Flexible thinking and ability to adapt to change.
Not the perfect match? Tell us what you’re interested in – you might have a skill we didn’t realise we needed!
Culture & Values
The successful candidate will be someone that relates to and can buy into our legal team culture and values designed to guide decisions and actions
- Thriving: making thriving contagious by inspiring, including, motivating and looking out for each other
- Innovative: turning ideas into solutions that add value
- Trusted: being honest, open, and transparent so you regard us as a trusted adviser and colleague
- Dynamic: seeking out ways to do things better to deliver positive change
- Sustainable: minimising our carbon footprint in conjunction with providing long term legal solutions which are sustainable.
Fostering a diverse and inclusive culture and embracing differences is something we pride ourselves on. You will be empowered to be yourself and work with people from different backgrounds and points of view to achieve positive results. We also know that everyone has a life outside of work so we’re happy to discuss flexible working.
This position offers a market rate salary and annual discretionary performance award with company benefits, including: 25 days holiday (with opportunities to extend under HolidayPlus) plus public holidays and bank holidays; private pension, retail & leisure discounts, Cycle2work scheme, gym & mobile discounts and amore.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in an innovative, business focussed and vibrant legal team at one of the UK’s leading energy providers. Apply now to have a career defining experience with SGN and be part of a brilliant team.
We’re quick to deliver and we may not always wait until the job advert expires before reviewing applications. We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible so we can continue the conversation…