Graduate Digital Service Engineer (17574)
Job ID: 17574
Location: Warrington, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
United Utilities provides water and sewage services to around seven million people in North West England. Behind the scenes that means operating enough miles of pipework and sewers to wrap three times round the planet, investing billions of pounds to improve water and the environment across the North West, while taking care of some of the most scenic and environmentally sensitive countryside in the region. We're embracing new technology, thinking outside the box to improve services for our customers and even harnessing the renewable energy potential of the region's water, waste and weather.
In short, it's our job to bring three million households and 200,000 businesses, clean, clear water and to take their waste water away so our customers can simply get on with their day.
You will be part of the Digital Services Engineering team and benefit from the shared knowledge and expertise of working with colleagues across all of the Engineering disciplines and IT whilst also developing your own specialist skills.
Our Digital Services engineers are responsible for the development of all United Utilities automation and control systems ranging from instrumentation, Programmable Logic Controller (PLC's) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and Regional Telemetry systems within the project delivery structure. We also provide support to our operational and other business colleagues.
You'll be rewarded for your commitment with a starting salary of £28,500, a massive 26 days of annual leave every year, which will increase to a maximum of 30 days after four years' service, plus bank holidays. Our fantastic benefits include private healthcare, discounted gym, flexible holidays, and award winning pension scheme. United Utilities has also been honored by Glassdoor with the Best Places to Work in 2020.
We're looking for enthusiastic graduates to lead the way and help us to meet the challenges of the future.
- Within your first two years, you will be expected to have gained an understanding of the wide range of technologies we use within Digital Services which includes instrumentation, Programmable Logic Controller (PLC's)/Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) control systems, IT infrastructure, industrial networks & Security and regional telemetry systems.
- You will develop an understanding of the interfaces between engineering and the corporate IT systems to ensure accurate information is transferred across the business.
- You will work with other engineering disciplines e.g. civil, hydraulic, process, electrical, modelling, etc. These are key requirements in order to deliver robust, reliable and cost-effective solutions that are safely and efficiently commissioned, operated and maintained.
- Our Digital Services graduates follow United Utilities accredited and successful professional development schemes to develop graduate engineers towards Chartered status. Graduates enrolled on the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) accredited scheme will have a dedicated mentor to help guide them throughout their training and development period.
- You will be joining United Utilities graduate programme where you will have the opportunity to develop to Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporate Engineer (IEng) status and, potentially, to fulfil a future leadership role in the business.
- You will need to show the ability to contribute as an effective team member working alongside other engineering disciplines as well as other stakeholders in the business.
- You will be expected to have good communication skills.
- You must have the ability to write clear, concise, accurate engineering design reports and specifications with measurable outputs.
- You will be self-motivated and be able to work on your own, initially under the supervision of more senior staff, and also within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Knowledge and Skills
Our team has a strong reputation for excellence and our graduates are an important part of that success.
We require our Digital Service Engineer graduates to have a minimum accredited 2:2 degree and accredited Master's degree in Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Electronic Engineering, IT, Computer Science or equivalent.
You will need to be:
- Knowledgeable and have experience in the following technologies:
- Network infrastructure – WAN/LAN (physical & software defined)
- IT Infrastructure – Virtualisation, remote management and automation
- Control and automation – PLC & SCADA programming
- Good at written and interpersonal skills
- An excellent communicator at all levels
- An excellent team player, possessing ambition and drive
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual assessment centre which are taking place from 6 – 17 December 2021.
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing Date: 24/10/21