Graduate Civil Engineer (15513)
Job ID: 15513
Location: Warrington, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
United Utilities provides water and sewage services to around seven million people in the North West. This means operating enough miles of pipework and sewers to wrap three times around the planet. That's a lot of pipework!
In short, it's our job to bring three million households and 200,000 businesses, clean, clear water and to take their wastewater away so our customers can simply get on with their day.
Our capital projects are focussed on all aspects of the water industry therefore as an engineer you will gain experience and expertise in all aspects, from regulation right through to project development, conceptual design and construction.
- As a graduate civil engineer, you are required to develop your knowledge of civil, hydraulic, geotechnical, structural design, including the development of site layouts, foundation solutions, pipelines and structural arrangements for water, wastewater and sludge treatment processes.
- It's also important to have a working knowledge of other disciplines such as process, mechanical, electrical, construction and network modelling. You will enrol on a three year graduate programme with the opportunity to undertake placements in different areas of the business, the direction of which you can choose with guidance from your Supervising Civil Engineer. That's because this allows us to deliver robust, reliable, repeatable, commissionable, operable, maintainable, safe and cost-effective project designs.
- You will develop your experience and expertise in data gathering and analysis required for the engineering design as well as your knowledge of health and safety techniques and the regulatory environment, both of which are really important to us.
- We want you to be able to communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences and have the ability to write clear, concise, accurate engineering design specifications with measurable outputs. As part of the programme, you will register on our Institution of Civil Engineers Approved Training Programme and will be supported with your initial professional development towards an Engineering Council approved professional qualification with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
Knowledge and Skills
- 2:1 Accredited Masters Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Technically competent with good planning, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Good written and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good team working skills
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual assessment centre in late January. Dates to be confirmed. We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.