Graduate (Catchment Planner) (15541)
Job ID: 15541
Location: Warrington, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
United Utilities provides water and sewage services to seven million people across the North West. It's a big job and a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly for our customers. From operating our pipes and improving water quality, to embracing new technologies and safeguarding the local environment – whether you're in our head office or out on site, there's always plenty going on.
The role of Graduate Catchment Planner is wide and varied but you will be key in helping UU achieve our strategy. We have the dedicated training and support to help you develop and reach your potential.
As a Graduate you will identify and support delivery of innovative environmental improvements which help to enhance the natural capital of the North West of England. You will be focusing on building knowledge of how our services interact with the resilience of ecosystems and areas where they could be improved.
- Support the development of new, innovate catchment based solutions to deliver regulatory requirements, and agree the new permitting approaches they will require.
- Support on the development and embedment of natural capital throughout UU's business thinking and processes.
- Undertake GIS analysis and modelling (using SIMCAT/SAGIS) to identify the best solutions and integrated opportunities for UU's future environmental and operational needs.
- Interpret the results of models to aid decision making, and make recommendations for strategies, integrated catchment approaches and capital projects.
- Represent UU on appropriate national groups, influence them to get the best outcome for UU.
- Maintain a detailed understanding of EA policies relating to the water and wastewater service and assess the impact of legislative changes and new environmental policies.
- Support the development of, and become an expert user of tools, systems, processes and procedures for current and future ways of working including catchment and natural capital decision support tools.
- Support development of key long term plans (Drainage and Wastewater Management Plan and Water Resources Management Plan).
- Support delivery of catchment investigation studies
Knowledge and Skills
- 2:1 degree in a relevant degree such as Environmental Science, Biology or Geography.
- Computer literate with an excellent knowledge of SharePoint, Excel and other relevant computer systems to enable manipulation of data to aid reporting.
- An aptitude for and interest in modelling
- Strong analytical skills and able to draw appropriate conclusions from relevant data and information.
- Good oral and written communication skills with particular emphasis on influencing and negotiating and be comfortable dealing with a range or external and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to think creatively and develop and present their own ideas to ensure that appropriate changes are effectively delivered through the business.
- Good organisational skills to ensure that work is prioritised and managed through to completion.
Following appointment the successful candidate will be trained in one of the following professional qualifications
- Work towards membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management).
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a virtual assessment centre in late January. Dates to be confirmed.
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.