External Affairs Manager
Salary: Personal contract
The role of External Affairs Manager will provide you with the chance to have a significant impact on energy and climate change policy by bringing evidence to influence decision makers at all levels of government.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team informing and implementing our strategy to meet Net Zero. 2020 is an exciting year to join us with Glasgow hosting the UN climate conference as we build to key policy decisions on the future of heat in the UK. Reporting to the Head of External Affairs, this role will;
- Map, develop and deliver engagement plans and sustain positive relationships with a wide range of external stakeholders across Westminster, Whitehall, the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government, Local Authorities, think tanks and NGO’s to effectively shape the energy and climate change on policy environment
- Work with Policy Manager to develop of policies and position statements
- Identify potential changes and emerging trends of to the national policy and public affairs landscape that may impact on company operations, reputation or performance and update internal stakeholders promptly
- Support the whole organisation to ensure consistency of the organisation’s voice to external stakeholders
- Represent the organisation throughout trade associations and on working groups
- Provide high level briefing and advice to the Chair and Chief Executive, including briefing for scrutiny appearances and stakeholder meetings
- Develop and maintain effective processes for monitoring stakeholder engagement to measure success and report to the SRLT, Executive and Board, providing briefing and advice to enhance stakeholder relationships
- Provide support to the wider communications team to support messaging through all channels, particularly media enquiries
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
The ideal candidate will have some experience of working in government (at any level), NGO's, or in a similar role in house or in an agency. We are looking for team players who have outstanding networking and collaboration skills, who are focussed on delivery, who are determined, adept at overcoming obstacles and can demonstrate commitment and passion in their work.
Not a perfect skills match? Tell us what you’re interested in – you might have a skill we didn’t realise we needed!
WHO WE ARE
We’re on a journey to transform the future of gas and we think outside the box – futuristic technologies and robotics are leading our innovation. Keeping our customers safe and warm is what we do but beyond that, we want to make the world a better place, which is why we’re passionate about helping in our communities, reducing our carbon footprint and driving innovation in our industry.
At SGN, we strive to sustain our world through managing the network that distributes natural and green gas across the south of England and Scotland. We have an important responsibility to keep the gas flowing to 5.9 million homes and businesses. Your work directly impacts SGNs commitments to keeping our customers’ homes and businesses safe.
We’re quick to deliver and we may not always wait until the job advert expires before reviewing applications. We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible so we can continue the conversation…