As a credible member of the Wastewater Regulation Team you will
Environmental regulations require us to obtain an Environmental Permit when our activities have the potential to impact on the environment and/or are covered by certain regulations. These including Environmental Permitting, Water Framework, Habitats and Urban Waste Water Regulations for discharges to water and EPR and Hazardous Waste Regulations for our waste arising. This legislation and the environmental evidence used to inform decisions is continually changing. We have a duty to ensure that the correct permissions are in place for our day to day operations.
You will need to ensure that the correct permits are in place by understanding operational changes and cost pressures alongside the environmental legislation and need.
What you will do
• Responsible for delivery of permits across Waste and Clean water operations for discharges and waste management.
• Provide specialist regulatory pre-application advice across the business.
• Engage with regulators (NRW/EA) on complex permits, ensuring that limits are proportionate and needs are evidence based.
• Give internal & external stakeholders confidence that environment and regulatory matters are being proactively led by DCWW through multiple means.
• Contribute to specialist regulatory groups and project steering groups (WaterUK, UKWIR, EA/NRW etc..) to assist in the development of new permitting approaches.
• Develop strong working relationships with our environmental regulators (NRW & EA).
• Ensuring that regulators are using robust evidence for decision making about our permits. By understanding the regulatory and environmental needs of our assets.
• Carrying out proactive reviews of permits where appropriate, to seek savings in charges and operating costs.
• Lead on operational driven permit requirements across an operating area
• Lead on the delivery of the agreed permitting profile for the NEP
• Ensuring that permit conditions are understood by wider business, including operators, Process Scientists and Regulatory sampling team.
• Developing excellent networks and carrying out effective influencing.
• Develop and implement continuous improvement & innovation at all opportunities.