This is a great opportunity to learn the essential skills that are already in high demand across the industry and will set you on the path to your future career.
You’ll be working alongside an experienced technician for the duration of your programme and will receive ongoing support from your dedicated mentor on-site, line manager and engagement partner who will guide you and help develop your experience to excel within your career at Thames Water.
What you’ll be doing as an Electrical Engineering Apprentice
You’ll be working on electrical equipment which monitors and controls all aspects of Thames Water’s water and wastewater processes, and how they’re performing across the network. During the apprenticeship you’ll become qualified to carry out planned preventative and general maintenance of equipment, modifying and rewiring, testing, and inspecting, condition-based monitoring and fault finding within our systems on our sites.
You will complete the Level 3 Maintenance Operations Engineering Technician Apprenticeship Standard – Electrical Pathway. (Included in the programme you will also complete the Level 3 City & Guilds Diploma in Engineering).
We work with Basingstoke College and you will be expected to attend the campus in Basingstoke on a fortnightly basis with the alternate week being virtual delivery, you may also be expected to attend college on block release, we will support your attendance by paying for your accommodation and travel expenses in line with our travel guidelines and business expense policy.
Start date: 2nd September 2024
Base Location: Beckton - IG11 0AD
Working hours: 38 hours per week. (Start time 7.30 am when onsite. Hours will vary when attending training or college).
Programme Length: 36-42 Months
Training provider details: Basingstoke College of Technology, Worting Rd, Basingstoke RG21 8TN
Other immediate demands: You must hold a valid UK driving license by the end of the second year (If using your vehicle, you will require business use on your insurance policy at your own cost)
Entry Requirements for this apprenticeship include:
A minimum of two GCSEs at grade 4 or above (A*-C), in Maths and English OR functional skills level 2 in Maths and English.
Don’t worry if you don’t have your grades yet, if you are due to sit your exams this year, we still want to hear if your predicted grades meet our requirements.
What you should bring to the role
What’s in it for you?
- Have a real drive and motivation to manage your learning and working life.
- Be a logical thinker and have a passion for technology and finding out how things work.
- Be focused, well organised, have excellent time management skills and have the dedication to succeed.
- Have great teamwork skills but also be able to work independently, putting customers at the heart of everything you do.
- Communicate effectively and be able to challenge when a problem arises.
- Be a champion for Health & Safety within the workplace for both you and your colleagues, helping us maintain our great reputation.
- Be ready to apply everything you learn in your day-to-day role and any projects outside of this.
- Due to the nature of the role, you will need to live a maximum of 30-40 minute journey from your base location.
We are offering training, qualifications, real-life experience and the opportunity to "Earn while you learn”.
Who are we?
- Competitive starting salary of £20,000.
- Annual Leave : 24 days holiday. (Plus bank holidays)
- Contributory pension – Defined Contribution - Maximum of 12% -2x employee contribution.
- Personal Medical Assessments – Open to all once a year.
- Wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing.
At Thames Water, our purpose is crystal clear - to deliver life’s essential service so our customers, communities and planet can thrive.
Water is life’s great leveller. Every living thing needs it, every single day. From people to plants, birds to bees, farms to factories, we all need it to thrive, and we’re committed to taking care of it for us all.
But keeping water flowing is becoming harder. From scorching summers to wetter winters, extreme weather affects everything from our pipes to our local rivers. We must keep millions more kettles boiling, public services operating, washing machines spinning, showers running and more, so every drop is more precious than ever. Are you ready to play your part?
Working at Thames Water
At Thames Water, we recognise that people are at the heart of our business. To help us succeed in providing life's essential service, we need a range of skills and capabilities, representative of society throughout our business.
We seek to attract and retain a cultural mix of people who can offer different but complementary attitudes, values, talents, and knowledge. We understand the importance of appreciating and harnessing the unique skills, experiences, backgrounds, and differences that each individual brings.
Our over-arching diversity and inclusion aim is to ensure Thames Water is a diverse and inclusive great place to work. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
When a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you’ll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It’s also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues and earn some extra money along the way.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.