Driver / Operative
- Job Reference: 00020351-1
- Date Posted: 26 May 2022
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
Drive and be responsible for allocated vehicles, equipment and all persons who may be affected by his driving activities including other crew members, assisting in loading and unloading of vehicle and completion of associated paperwork.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
• You are required to wear the uniform and protective clothing issued and ensure that it is kept clean and tidy. It is a condition under the Health and Safety at Work Act section 7 (a) that protective clothing is worn.
• It is essential that you have regard to your responsibilities under the terms of the Company's Health and Safety Policy. You must always adopt the safe working practices described in the relevant Codes of Practice and adhere to other guidance and instructions which you may receive from time to time in respect of Health and Safety.
• At all times you must ensure that nothing you do endangers or is likely to endanger the Health and Safety of yourself, your colleagues and the general public.
• You must ensure that you maintain a polite and courteous manner towards members of the public at all times.
• Carry out daily vehicle checks and routine maintenance i.e. oil and water checks.
• Ensure vehicle is washed down at the end of each day and is kept clean and tidy both inside and out.
• Report all defects, faults and accidents to a Supervisor using the correct procedure.
• Ensure all travelling by crew members is undertaken seated in the cab and under no circumstances should crew members be allowed to ride on any part of the vehicle other than in the cab.
• When you feel it necessary that extra aids are required to complete a reversing activity safely, you will obtain the assistance of a crew member as an additional reversing aid. This will only be undertaken when a clear understanding of the signs to be used and the position that the operative has to take in relation to the drivers visibility, has been established.
• Drive and operate the vehicle allocated for the day's work, in accordance with all road Traffic Acts, other legislation and approved Codes of Practice.
• To assist in loading refuse into the vehicle in the quantities and types as detailed in the contract specification.
• Ensure all spillages are cleared and the site left in a clean manner. Any difficulties in this area should be reported immediately to the Supervisor who will make arrangements to resolve the problem.
• Transport all collected refuse to a notified disposal point in a secure and safe manner.
• Collect and transport in certain circumstances bulk or loose items of waste which are not contained within receptacles to a notified disposal point.
• To sheet, net or bar off containerised waste as applicable prior to transportation thereon to the notified disposal point.
• Any scheduled waste collections missed within the current working day must be reported to a Supervisor by at least the end of the same day.
• Complete correctly the daily work sheet and sign in the proper place.
• In certain circumstances to undertake accident and emergency work as instructed by a Supervisor.
• To assist in winter emergency work such as salting and gritting roads or removal of snow and ice.
• Carry out such other work/duties which may become necessary as circumstances dictate.
• All injuries, however minor, sustained during working hours must be reported to the Supervisor as soon as possible, but always by the end of the working day.
• Any reasonable requests.
Qualifications and Experience
• HGV Class 2 Entitlement on licence.
• Must have a minimum of 35 hours CPC qualification.
• Experience in the driving industry.