Database Developer: 12 Months (working from home) £37K-£43K plus benefits
Who are we
Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water keep 3 million people healthy each day with safe, reliable water, and take away wastewater to clean, before returning it safely to our beautiful rivers and seas.
Do you want to get involved with the latest cloud-based technologies and advanced analytics and be part of a collaborative, supportive and high-performing team within the fourth largest organisation in Wales?
An exciting opportunity for a Database Developer to join our Data Engineering Team has arisen at Dwr Cymru Welsh Water!
Who can apply?
- Welsh Water is open to speaking with applicants from any industry.
About the team
- Opportunity to work with a supportive and progressive team
- This role will give you the chance to use your data and analysis skills
- The role will also provide the option to become a line manager
Top 3 skills
- You’ll have demonstrable experience of ETL technologies
- You’ll have understanding and experience of data warehousing principles
- You’ll have understanding and experience of normalisation and relational databases
What we offer
We know that if our employees are happy, our customers are happy. That’s why we offer a great benefits package. As one of the biggest companies in Wales, our reward and benefits package includes:
- Expert and supportive manager
- Annual personal development plan
- Funding for professional qualifications including MSc
What you'll do
As a Database Developer, you will play a key part in developing and providing solutions for the organisation, working closely with colleagues within the Data Team. You will use your past knowledge and experience of working with and analysing data to contribute towards a challenging range of projects intended to deliver positive benefits to the organisation, through the application of analytics.
- As a Database Developer, you will play a key part in developing and providing solutions for the organisation, working closely with colleagues within the Data Team. You will use your past knowledge and experience of working with and analysing data to contribute towards a challenging range of projects intended to deliver positive benefits to the organisation, through the application of analytics.
- Using your technical understanding and experience of data and analytics approaches to contribute towards the development of first class data and analytics solutions that generate business benefit. You will use your organising skills, and a keen eye to detail, to ensure outputs are robust and accurate, and deadlines are always met. You will be able to draw upon your past experience in a data-centric / analytical role to develop high quality solutions for the organisation.
- Demonstrating a thorough understanding of the following concepts, acquired through a relevant undergraduate qualification (e.g. BSc) – mathematics, computer programming, database design and administration – through the planning, execution and implementation of solutions that are fundamentally based upon one or more of these specialist areas.
- Being able to effectively extract, manipulate and interrogate data, using applicable techniques that befit the type of data in question, and the future analytical needs that will depend upon this data.
- Being able to work collaboratively as part of a team, whilst also being trusted to work individually where necessary. Approaching collaborative projects with others in a positive manner to collate and document requirements and identify viable solutions to overcome issues and challenges.
- Engaging with stakeholders and being able to communicate effectively through both written and oral methods. You will be able to distil technical and complex ideas into simpler and understandable language, as appropriate. Your storytelling skills will allow non-technical audiences to understand how a project has been approached and undertaken, and how the outputs can support stakeholder objectives and goals.
- Having strong programming and coding skills across several languages (such as SQL and R) that can be applied to undertake analytics, and build solutions that draw upon developed analytics. You will also have both database and data analysis experience.
- Using your knowledge of specific programming paradigms (e.g. functional, object-oriented) and data warehouse / data mart design principles (e.g. star schemas, normalisation) to design effective technical solutions.
- Working closely with technical colleagues within key teams within Business Information Services (BIS) – to ensure relevant information technology components and services are in place to accommodate developed solutions.
- Continuously horizon-scanning across a rapidly changing field, assessing how the latest research, techniques and approaches could be implemented to achieve business benefit.
- Undertaking any other duties as required to meet the needs of the business.
- Working closely with the Data Graduates and Apprentices in the Data Team, using your knowledge and skills to support the development of their own data and analytics skills and competencies.
What you'll need
- Relevant undergraduate degree (BSc) in computer science, mathematics OR relevant long term experience or MCSA/MTA certification.
- At least 3 years work experience in a database development/administration role.
- You’ll have demonstrable experience of working with databases and a working knowledge of SQL.
- You will need to demonstrate experience of ETL technologies both on premise and cloud.
- You’ll have understanding and experience of data warehousing principles.
- You’ll have understanding and experience of normalisation and relational databases.
- An ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders (e.g. Data Stewards, Senior Management, BIS) to illicit information for delivery of requirement documentation.
- The drive and desire to keep abreast of emerging data technologies in order to develop both the organisations data maturity and develop your own experience and knowledge.
- Experience across the Microsoft BI Stack, including Analysis Services, Integration Services and Reporting Services.
- Experience across the Microsoft Azure Data Stack, including Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Synapse and Azure SQL.
As well as a market competitive salary and 25 days annual leave (pro rata), we offer a range of employee benefits including:
- Variable pay schemes
- Enhanced employer pension contributions
- Reduction on gym memberships and high street shopping
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car-leasing scheme
- Health CashBack scheme
- An employee assistance programme for employees and their immediate family
And many, many more.
We’re currently recruiting for two roles.
Fixed term for 12 months.
Do you have any specific questions about the role? Speak to the team by emailing email@example.com
23:59 29th September, 2020.