About the role:
The successful Data Scientist will be working with our data science platform to develop, deliver and maintain ground-breaking algorithms and analytics on an enterprise level. You will be part of the Data Factory, working together with colleagues in a mature data function with a growing centralised data platform.
Our team adds value by unlocking actionable insights from our data and developing Machine Learning and AI tools that feed into an AI enterprise platform. This is hosted on leading-edge, secure platforms and tooling.
The role will provide exciting challenges and experiences as we progress towards a digital-first, data-driven business. You will work with interesting datasets including asset health, operations, geographical and people to help achieve improvements to real-world problems including leakage, pollution, efficiency and customer service.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Communicate insight & regularly interact with stakeholders
- Apply problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- Deliver and evaluate Data Science algorithms
- Deliver machine learning pipelines
- Automate data analysis
- Advise on mathematical approaches for problem-solving
- Contribute to product development, support and maintain data science products
What's in it for you:
- You will be resilient and must be able to build credibility quickly
- A degree in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, physics, computer science is essential. A postgraduate degree in a similar field is an advantage
- Strong mathematical and statistical analysis skills are essential
- You will be a competent/advanced programmer in Python and SQL
- You will understand machine learning methods and have experience in their application
- Data engineering skills are essential
- Agile certification is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of the Azure platform and Databricks is an advantage
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.