Centrica Energy Marketing & Trading (EM&T) is the trading arm of Centrica. We trade gas, power and LNG and provide the route to market for our upstream and power generation operations.
This role provides a fantastic opportunity to understand the complexities of a commodity trading business across a wide range of trading strategies and books. Reporting to a Senior Accountant within the EM&T Financial Control (FC) team this role also provides support and operating controls centrally for the whole of the EM&T FC team.
The role holder will support the FC team in developing financial accounting, reporting and related control processes whilst maintaining an effective system of internal control to ensure integrity and accuracy of financial reporting throughout a sustained period of change.
The Job role:
- Support the Month-End Financial Control process for EM&T. Examples include:
- Journal upload & ensuring data integrity in SAP
- Integrity review process with other Finance stakeholders
- Income Statement/Balance Sheet/Cash Flow reporting deliverables
- Month-End submission and controls completion
- Year End and Half Year additional reporting requirements including Auditor deliverables
- Central Centrica processes: Power and gas trade allocation and balancing; hedge accounting; ROC/EUA accounting.
- Support for UK EM&T FC teams:
- Proprietary Trading: Curve Prop Trading; Complex Prop Trading
- UK Power: Green Book; Power Asset Book (PAB); Power Load Book
- UK Gas: Gas Asset Book (GAB); European Gas Supplies (EGS); Gas Load Book (GLB); Gas Equity Book (GEB); EM&T Gas Equity Book (mGEB)
- LNG: Global trading; Isle of Grain; Shipping.
- Manage and co-ordinate EM&T Group Level Controls centrally, with support from more senior team members. Examples include:
- Balance Sheet analytical reviews
- Balance Sheet reconciliation KPIs monitoring
- Cashflow reporting
- Manual journals review
- Revenue classification
- Develop effective working relationships with Business Finance and Product Control to ensure the trading of the business is accurately represented in the external reporting.
Qualified or Part Qualified Accountant
Experience of physical and financial energy markets and accounting for transactions in these markets
Experience with financial accounting and reporting systems e.g. SAP, BPC, BW
Ability to learn and understand trading concepts
Ability to learn and understand accounting concepts
Ability to learn and understand commercial aspects and associated accounting for a variety of contract types
Technically savvy and desire to learn how to operate with trading systems (e.g. Endur, EOS, Secure Environment) and process and interrogate large trade datasets (50,000 rows) quickly through spreadsheet (or other) analysis tools
A process-focused individual with a passion for continuous improvement and ability to deliver change involving multiple stakeholders
A self-starter who can identify issues as they arise and resolve them with minimal involvement from manager
A team player who can collaborate with others within EM&T and across Centrica Finance as the need arises
Calm under pressure with the ability to juggle and prioritise multiple deliverables with a high degree of self-management
Ability to present a complex subject in a clear and simple way.