About the role:
The role is for a commissioning engineer to oversee the successful commissioning of the Tideway Tunnel as it interfaces with Thames Water Assets and to ensure that all Thames Water-related projects are commissioned to the required standards.
The successful candidate would work within Thames Water’s Tideway Integration Team reporting to the Project Commissioning Manager and would work alongside SCADA and Electrical Engineers within the team.
They would ensure that Main Works Contractors (MWCs) follow agreed designs and working methods to facilitate integration into Thames Water assets, and that works directly or indirectly impacting on Thames Water's assets are carried out with due diligence, are compliant with required contract standards, water industry best practice and appropriate Health & Safety laws and regulations.Key Accountabilities:
- Be one of the Tideway Integration Group’s experts on all MEICA related issues. Review and monitoring of MEICA design deliverables and related Project risks, providing expertise to support the work of the Design Manager and Project Commissioning Manager.
- Review and provide timely answers to relevant technical queries raised by the Main Works Contractors and other parties. Liaise with Tideway and MWCs MEICA Design Coordinator and Commissioning teams to ensure plant commissioning requirements are incorporated at the design stage and included the inappropriate scope of works.
- Ensure that the assets being provided by Tideway for transfer to TWUL (Thames Water) are constructed and commissioned to the correct standards and quality.
- Liaise with the Area Delivery Engineers to ensure that the TWUL operational assets and resources are available to enable the MWC’s works to progress as programmed.
- Play a key role in the planning of worksite commissioning and the delivery of the system commissioning activities.
- Assist in the development of Commissioning Programmes. Provide input into Commissioning Strategy Reviews and Documentation. Review and development of Compliance & Commissioning Plan in conjunction with Tideway & MWC’s design intent. Oversee FAT, SAT, and process plant witness tests.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Play a key role in the assurance of handover deliverables. Assist Training Coordinators in the compilation of training deliverables and engage in LTTThames Water Training sessions. Assist O&M Coordinators in compilation and review of O&M Manuals.
- The role would suit a qualified mechanical engineer with good knowledge of other MEICA disciplines, although candidates from any MEICA discipline would be considered.
- Experience and knowledge of networks, clean water and wastewater commissioning are essential together with a good working knowledge of the procedures used for all phases of MEICA testing and commissioning.
Wastewater industry sector experience in the following:
- Significant contractor or client-side experience in a MEICA installation and commissioning role.
Other skills we are looking for:
- Mechanical Engineering, knowledge of pumps pumping systems, control valves
- Electrical Engineering and Instrumentation/Controls and SCADA,
- On-site technical assurance and commissioning of assets.
- Excellent knowledge of construction/MEICA practices associated with working on or near assets
- Excellent knowledge of the construction health and safety matters and the risks associated with working near or on wastewater assets
- Experienced in the inspection, witness testing and handover of constructed or installed assets
What’s in it for you:
- Able to accurately record the progress of works as the project progresses and escalate any concerns to the project team
- Excellent practical problem-solving skills
- Ability to work closely with the client and contractors and be trusted to become an integral part of their team
- Possess excellent working relationships with operational teams and able to develop a very good network of contacts
- Expertise in all documentation associated with commissioning and Systems Integration as well as detailed knowledge of the requirements for training and handover requirements.
The role provides an excellent challenge for an experienced commissioning engineer to join Thames Water working on the prestigious Tideway Tunnel project. Working alongside an experienced and dedicated team the role will provide an excellent opportunity to develop a breadth of skills across a multi-site, multidiscipline project.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.