Closed Sites Supervisor
- Job Reference: 00005890-1
- Date Posted: 25 September 2020
- Employer: FCC Environment
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Health, Safety, Environment & Quality
- Job Type: Permanent
Main purpose and scope of job
To ensure that closed landfill sites in and associated activities such as leachate treatment are operated in an efficient and safe manner with proper regard to environmental compliance, customer service levels and the needs of the local community.
Duties and key responsibilities - Operational
• To ensure the site manages and organises the efficient and safe handling of soil and other restoration material imports, with the adoption of best practice principles and the control of operational costs within/below budget.
• Enable landfill gas and leachate to be extracted efficiently to maximise environmental compliance.
• To ensure that the sites are operated in compliance with all relevant Company and statutory Health and Safety requirements. Includes accident and incident investigation, and acting appropriately on near misses and safety alerts.
• Monitor and control landfill restoration operations to ensure the achievement of budgeted revenue, operating profit and cash targets. Manage Purchasing.
• To ensure that all inputs of soils are booked onto the electronic weighbridge system GLADIS in a timely manner, and samples are taken and processed as to the appropriate plans.
• To carry out regular inspections of the security and management systems of sites and take remedial action where necessary.
• To agree and monitor cell capping completion in conjunction with the Regional Engineer.
• To agree the process and placement of soil and other restoration material with the Regional Engineer and restoration team, and ensure correct profile.
• To manage the Engineering and Restoration teams in the completion of the Site by reviewing tender documents, attending pre-contract meetings and controlling contractors on-site.
• To carry out inductions of temporary labour, contractors and visitors to the sites, and maintain the appropriate paperwork.
• Attend Virtual team (VT) meetings raising actions through minutes and ensuring they are closed out.
• To liaise with the environment team so as to deliver a fully functional and CQA approved leachate extraction system in accordance with the site permit as cost effectively as possible.
• To ensure the environment team deliver all the monitoring requirements in accordance with the site permit as cost effectively as possible.
• Liaise with Infinis on all landfill gas issues raising NCRs and escalations as required.
• To ensure provision and maintenance of all necessary internal roads.
• To maintain as-built drawings on-site of all developments, design criteria/performance criteria/CQA documents for current cell and previous cell.
• To ensure that activities and maintenance are carried out within budgeted levels of expenditure whilst achieving minimum downtime of plant vehicles.
• To control the repair and maintenance procedures of equipment on-site including the sourcing of spares, maintenance programming and expenditure consistent with cost effective and efficient operations.
• To report to the closed site manager any breach of the rules, acts of dishonesty, malpractice or corruption by any member of the public, visitor, contractor or staff.
• To be fully aware of planning consents and environmental permits relating to the Sites and ensure they are not breached.
• To ensure that the Sites are operated in compliance with all relevant Company and statutory environmental requirements, e.g. abstraction licences, discharge consents, duty of care for disposal of waste, etc.
• To maintain day-to-day contact with the Environment Agency and other regulators, accompanying them on site visits.
• To protect the reputation of the Company in the community in which it operates by adopting demanding standards of tidiness and care. Communicate the company's philosophy and examples of it in action locally to community representative bodies and actively participate in public liaison meetings.
• To liaise with customers to ensure their needs are met on site.
• Any other requirements of the Closed Site Business Manager.
• Educated to a sufficient standard with a good experience in the operational management of landfills.
• Relevant experience – work towards CMS
• Strong reputation for consistent delivery of projects on time and to budget within a demanding environment.
• Operational management within a sector where compliance with regulatory controls is an important factor.
• Satisfactory completion of the relevant Competency Management System modules.
• Completion of all other training as defined within the Training Matrix.
Personal attributes and other requirements
• First class communication skills, written and oral. Confident spokesperson, credible as a representative of the company with external contacts, such as Environment Agency, other regulatory bodies and community groups.
• Commercially astute and results orientated.
• Decisive and comfortable with responsibility, but recognises the value and contribution of regional and central specialists.
• Numerate and IT literate, with the ability to use management information effectively.
• Embraces change, committed to finding better ways of doing things.
• Intellect, business skills and ambition to progress beyond the initial job in time.
Any other reasonable request.