Job Title: Civils Engineer (Development)
£39,240 - £49,050
Closing Date: Tuesday 28th November
Help us create a better future, quicker
Our SP Energy Networks business is responsible for the distribution of electricity to your property via our network of pylons, substations, cables and power lines. We serve 3.5 million homes and businesses across Central & Southern Scotland, Cheshire, Merseyside, North Shropshire and North Wales.
What you'll be doing
- Making regular inspections of building work at various stages of completion
- Measure and sample building materials to check their quality
- Confirm that works are being carried out in accordance with construction plans and SPEN specifications
- Assist project feasibility and construction stages
- Liaise with other members of the design team to achieve a coordinated design solution
- Review designs and drawings undertaken by others
- Ensure that quality and consistency of technical and construction output is maintained
- Develop and maintain robust stakeholder and customer relationships on behalf of Scottish Power to facilitate delivery of customer and stakeholder strategic objectives.
- Promotes an exemplary safety culture and ensures that all safety legislation is implemented and delivered through all activities and incorporated into project designs.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and behaviours amongst the team through the mentoring and training of less experienced team members, graduates and trainees.
What you'll bring
- NVQ, HND or bachelor's qualification in a construction-related subject, for example building surveying, civil engineering, structural engineering or construction management is preferred
- Member of a relevant professional body, such as the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) or the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) is preferred.
- A good knowledge of structural and civil engineering design principles and material properties
- An understanding of construction methods with varied experience in all the common forms of construction
- An ability to understand and interpret construction drawings with the ability to pay attention to detail to how this will reflect the final project
- An ability to understand and interpret building regulations, construction processes, legislation and requirements.
- Great attention to detail and pride in design quality
- 5 years' experience or more preferred
- Full clean driving license
- Experience working in electrical industry is desirable although not essential
What's in it for you
As well as a competitive salary which is reviewed annually, you can also enjoy a number of other benefits. With our pension scheme, we'll double match your contribution up to a company contribution of 10%.
At ScottishPower, we believe it's the little things we do in life that make a big difference. From helping you look after your family's wellbeing, save for your future and take personal steps for climate action - our benefits are designed to help you do just that - so that you have everything you need to take care of your world - today and tomorrow. That's why our benefits include:
- 36 days annual leave
- Holiday purchase - perfect your work/life balance with extra annual leave
- Share Incentive Plan and Sharesave Scheme
- Payroll giving and charity matched funding
- Technology Vouchers - save more and spread the cost of your technology purposes
- Count us in - pledge to reduce carbon emissions and help fight climate change
- Electric Vehicle Schemes - to help you transition to green/clean driving
- Cycle to Work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
- Options to purchase dental insurance, private medical insurance, health cash plan and annual health assessments
- Life Assurance (4x salary)
- Access to nudge' financial wellbeing support
- Plus shopping, leisure, restaurant and gym discounts, and unique employee deals on travel insurance and more
Why SP Energy Networks
SP Energy Networks is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world's largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. We keep electricity flowing to homes and businesses through Central and Southern Scotland, North Wales and in the Northwest of England. We operate over 4000km of cables and lines that make-up the transmission network - connecting infrastructure like wind farms into the electricity system. It's a role that puts us right at the heart of Scotland's ambition to be Net Zero by 2044. And we're taking it very seriously. We're investing £5.5 billion into our transmission network, directly supporting the rapid growth needed in renewable energy. With diverse opportunities across our businesses and a commitment to invest in our own internal talent, ScottishPower can offer people real career opportunities that meet personal and professional goals, in a global organisation.
Inclusion, diversity, and a social purpose are at the heart of everything we do. Together with our values, they bring us together into a stronger, more sustainable business with direct links to the communities we serve. It takes all kinds of people to build a large-scale business like ours, so whatever your background, you'll fit right in.
We are committed to providing reasonable support or adjustments in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions, or who are neurodivergent or require pregnancy-related support. If you need support, please reach out to careers scottishpower.com .