About the role:
This Laboratory Analyst position is in our Inorganic Chemistry department which has the highest throughput of samples in the laboratory. The role involves the preparation and analysis of samples, using colourimetric, gravimetric and automated analysis. This is a fast-paced environment, and all training is provided to aid in working together as part of the larger team.
Our labs are a key part of the business which allows us to monitor that our drinking water is safe and clean and that our waste product is treated in the correct way. Not only do we analyse samples from our customers' homes but also from our sites and the rivers too.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful, you will have the following skills and experience:
- Analysing samples within a defined area to meet UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service), Environment Agency and DWI (Drinking Water Inspectorate) standards and relevant H&S Standard.
- Carrying out basic maintenance of analytical equipment.
- Producing, recording, maintaining and verifying data within a highly regulated UKAS accredited Laboratory. This will involve running a variety of automated and manual Lab techniques, relevant to the water industry.
- Working in a highly regulated environment, giving excellent customer service to everyone you meet.
- Working with quality management systems to ISO 17025 and automated data handling.
- 'A' level in a science discipline and a grade 'B' in GCSE Maths (or equivalent), or relevant laboratory experience.
- Ability to follow strict instructions and guidelines.
- A self-motivated perfectionist with good attention to detail.
- Comfortable with repetitive work but has a real passion for working in a laboratory.
- Constantly looking for ways to improve both yourself and processes and will be comfortable in putting your ideas forward.
- You will have the customer at the heart of everything you do and will value being part of a team to deliver exceptional customer service.
There isn't a one size fits all in our Labs, we like different. Our teams are made up a wide variety of shapes and sizes from people that have just finished A-levels through to experienced professionals with plenty of experience of working in labs.What’s in it for you?
This is an opportunity to put your skills into action in our labs. Testing over 2 million samples a year and providing the highest quality drinking water to the Thames Water Region, this role really puts you at the heart of the business.
This role joins part of a team dedicated to providing excellent customer service. Our labs have won awards for health and safety and all of our teams are dedicated to meeting this exceptional standard. Most recently, Thames Water has become one of only a handful of organisations to be recognised by the Science Council as an “Employer Champion”.
The award recognises our commitment to supporting our scientific staff with continued professional development and registration with appropriate professional bodies.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
There is a progression scheme within the laboratory where you will have the opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain RSCITECH and RSCI Qualifications through the RSC.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.