Carbon Strategy and Engagement Intern - Summer Placement
Location: Warrington, UK
Duration: 3 months
Salary: £20,000 per annum (pro-rata based on duration)
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
Stat Date: July 2022
Help keep taps flowing and toilets flushing across the North West
At United Utilities, we’re not only essential service providers to over 7 million customers across the region but we’re also at the forefront of tackling some of the biggest climate and environmental challenges in a generation. All our people are essential in achieving our net zero targets and creating a more resilient North West.
It's a big job and a lot of work goes on behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly for our customers. From operating our pipes and improving water quality, to embracing new technologies and safeguarding the local environment – whether you're in our head office or out on site, there's always plenty going on. Our internship programmes will give you the opportunity to learn first-hand how we make this happen.
We have been awarded with a Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award, recognising the Best Places to Work in 2020. We were ranked #19 company in the UK, based solely on the input of employees, who provide feedback on their jobs, work environments and companies on Glassdoor, one of the world’s largest job and recruiting sites.
You will be joining the United Utilities family of over 5,000 employees who all help to provide great service for our 7 million customers.
In the Environment, Planning and Innovation department you will join our Long Term Strategy team, a forward-thinking team working to generate value for our customers and stakeholders through partnerships and sustainability.
In this role you will support in the communication and benchmarking on United Utilities climate change mitigation strategy.
Job accountabilities will include supporting with:
- Reviewing the approaches taken by different companies to share and explain climate change mitigation strategies, targets and plans.
- Compare and contrast approaches taken by United Utilities against other benchmark organisations.
- Supporting the carbon team in their annual disclosures.
- Producing one or more items identified in gap analysis to improve communication of UU climate change mitigation strategy, targets and plans. (E.g. document/media content that can be published on various web platforms)
Don't worry, we won't throw you in at the deep end. You'll have mentors and managers with you as you progress through your placement and support you as you work towards your personal development goals.
What we are looking for
- You will be aiming for a minimum of a 2:1 in a related degree such as Geography, Environmental Studies, Sustainability studies or Climate Change Studies and a student in your penultimate year at university.
- You must have a strong and well-developed understanding of the topic area, and desire to deepen knowledge on climate change strategies, targets and plans.
- You should possess excellent written and interpersonal skills and have the ability to communicate and influence across multiple stakeholder groups, including being able to creatively use a range of media and presentation skills for qualitative and quantitative information in a means that can be understood by all.
- You must be motivated and enthusiastic, understand the importance of team work and possess ambition and drive to succeed and make the most out of you 10 week internship.
- You should be able to be comfortable working flexibly across a range of tasks and activities to deadlines, be able to prioritise your time and be proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
If you want to join an FTSE 100 company that wants to disrupt the water industry and you want to make a positive change in the world we would like to hear from you.
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
Due to the length of your programme you will be engaged via our resourcing partner Rullion.
How to apply
All roles will be advertised on our United Utilities Career's Page. Roles will be advertised on selected University portals to encourage applications. All applications will need to be completed online through the United Utilities Careers Page.
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation, or social background.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.