Who we are
Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water keep 3 million people healthy each day with safe, reliable water, and take away wastewater to clean, before returning it safely to our beautiful rivers and seas.
To be able to deliver high quality, essential services which help to protect the health of our customers, colleagues and our environment, we need the right people to deliver on our vision. This is achieved by living our core values and demonstrating the core behaviours that underpin them.
We know that the most successful teams are the most diverse teams. Equality, diversity and inclusion provide the very foundation to our culture at Welsh Water. We want every individual to feel confident, proud and able to bring their whole selves to work. Together we continue to build a workplace that not only celebrates the diverse voices of our colleagues but also represents each customer we serve.
In essence, ours is a company based on trust, openness, respect, commitment and honesty. A company that our colleagues are proud to work for.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Manage the business planning process for the Retail Business Unit in Welsh Water, in particular the 2024 Price Review (PR24), and providing fact based insight into the efficiency of the operation and its cost to serve.
- Leading and managing all business planning activity for the Retail Business Unit, including the 5-year rolling plan, annual budgets and reforecasts. Project managing these activities and ensuring that there is a seamless interface with the central budgeting process led by group finance.
- Be the key point of contact for detailed costing and business planning information in the retail business.
- Support long term strategic planning activities of the Retail Leadership Team, by undertaking detailed modelling to understand drivers of costs and risks to the profitability of the business, as well as assessing strategic opportunities and actively contributing the discussions on the future direction of the business.
- Manage the process to produce and submit the retail household and non-household business plans to the regulator (PR24), ensuring that all outputs are completed within agreed timescales, cost and quality targets.
- Ensure that there are appropriate governance and sign off controls in place within the Retail business to support the PR24 process, including producing and maintaining project plans, document control and providing updates to other governance bodies as required. Establish and manage any working groups required to support the production of the business plan.
- Manage the work of any external consultants supporting business planning activities and acting as a key point of contact for queries relating to the retail business plan, including those from the regulator and attending cross industry working groups where necessary.
- Provide timely and relevant updates to the Retail Leadership Team and other senior stakeholders, including the Dwr Cymru Executive and Glas Board, as required.
- Maintain up to date analysis on the revenue and costs of the retail business, including cost to serve models, revenue analysis and the impact of business change initiatives. Proactively use this data to provide meaningful insight into the efficiency of the business and the drivers of cost.
- Build effective relationships with the Retail management team, central finance team, regulation and planning team, external partners and others to gain support for the strategic business plan, and increase awareness of the risks and opportunities facing the Retail business
Who you’ll work with
- Retail Leadership Team
- Retail Management Team
- WW Finance Team
- WW Regulation and Planning Team
- Qualified accountant with 2-5 years PQE. Previous experience of contributing to the development of an organisation’s strategic business plan is desirable.
- Excellent understating of economics
- Excellent analytical skills with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Access. Experience of using VBA/SQL to develop business information systems is desirable.
- Strong planning, organisation and time management skills. Experience of project management would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in a regulatory environment.
- Excellent communication and networking skills, confident and credible presenting to senior stakeholders.
- Flexible and able to adapt to change.
- High integrity and personal credibility.
- Results focused.
- Collaborative, contributes and shares knowledge freely.
- Team player who is self-motivated and passionate about their job.
- Role model, able to demonstrate the values of the Company at all times.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
As well as a market competitive salary and 25 days annual leave (pro rata), we offer a range of employee benefits including:
• Variable pay schemes
• Enhanced employer pension contributions
• Reduction on gym memberships and high street shopping
• Cycle to work scheme
• Car-leasing scheme
• Health CashBack scheme
• An employee assistance programme for employees and their immediate family
And many, many more.