ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world's largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. ScottishPower is the first integrated energy company in the UK to generate 100% green electricity. Our focus is on wind energy, smart grids and driving the change to a cleaner, electric future and we're investing over £4m every working day to make this happen. We're committed to speeding up the transition to cleaner electric transport, improving air quality and over time, driving down bills.
Insurance and Risk management forms part of our Corporate functions that is responsible for providing support services for all other ScottishPower businesses. We know people are central to building a better future, quicker and we are seeking new talent to join our team.
Scottish Power's risk management and insurance team sits within the global framework of the Iberdrola GERIE function
The Business Insurance Manager is responsible for the management of casualty risks, insurance covers, project management and legal contracts across all UK businesses, working closely alongside Iberdrola colleagues. The role has specific focus on the risk and insurance strategy and placement for major construction projects, managing relationships with JV partners, contract and business risk assessments, underwriting submissions and declarations for casualty covers and the direction of any liability insurance claims (with SP Legal).
* Ascertain and provide advice on insurable and non-insurable risks in existing operations or high value construction projects and JV arrangements, e.g. Offshore and Onshore Windfarm Projects, such as East Anglia.
* Manage the insurance strategy, selection and placement for major SP construction projects, and represent SP Insurance on any project Risk and Insurance Committees.
* Liaison with brokers, JV Partners and businesses to ensure appropriate allocation of risk in major projects and contracts. This will include active participation in the negotiation of risk and insurance clauses with contractors and the agreement of optimal insurance placement strategy given project budget constraints.
* Provision of underwriting information for and on behalf of each Business. Support the Business owners in identifying the most appropriate strategy of risk transfer or risk retentions dependent on their specific risk appetite.
* Provision of contract reviews in respect of insurance provisions for each Business and agree any material variation with SP or third parties to standard contract terms and conditions on a case by case basis.
* Relationship Management on behalf of each Business in relation to casualty insurers and their respective experts, including for example loss adjusters and Marine Warranty Surveyors.
* Insurance lead, support and direct all casualty claims for SP in conjunction with SP Legal.
* Assess and support risk mitigation and loss prevention on a site and project level for each Business. Manage site and project surveys with insurers, including the clearance on all insurers' recommendations.
* Provide direction, assessment and guidance on existing insurance arrangements on terms, policy response and coverage, limits, indemnities, deductibles and exclusions to all stakeholders.
Skills and Requirements
* Degree educated with (or progress towards) a professional qualification in insurance, risk management, finance, law (construction or insurance), business or engineering with relevant risk or industry experience.
* Possess considerable relevant experience in a risk management environment, insurance markets, energy markets, or a comparable risk management environment. Fully proficient, with detailed working knowledge of risk management functions and methods including risk management environments and techniques and technical insurance knowledge.
* Experience of managing the complete end-to-end risk management process, including carrying out project reviews.
* Detailed knowledge of the operations of the Scottish Power's Businesses and the key risks faced. A network of internal contacts is an advantage.
* Ability to build effective internal and external relationships and positively influence across all levels of the organisation.
* Proven leadership, management and interpersonal skills are essential, as is the ability to influence at all levels.
* Knowledge of the global insurance market workings and principles. Robust knowledge of the legal framework and model contracts for construction and services contracts.
* Strong ability to think independently, problem solve and facilitate co-operation.
* Ability to make, recommend and communicate decisions with confidence and clarity based on knowledge and fact.
* Proven track record of successfully managing multiple priorities in a demanding work environment
* Highly motivated, self-directed and results driven.
To be successful in a role you will need to demonstrate as minimum:
* Broad experience of the commercial insurance market (particularly Casualty); up to date knowledge of developments within legal framework and insurance industry.
* Commercially aware, with experience of the end-to-end insurance life-cycle for a large global Corporate; including risk identification, contract negotiations, policy placement and claims management.
* In depth experience of working closely with commercial contracts including specific review and negotiation of terms and conditions from an insurance perspective. Experience of standard contracts such as JCT, NEC and FIDIC structures would be helpful.
* Proven track record of working within wider major construction projects, coordinating and leading in all insurance related aspects, including contracts, and the interactions with insurer/brokers markets.
* Strong interpersonal skills, able to work with complex issues and communicate clearly to and influence at a senior level.
What we Offer
This is a Permanent contract. Salary for this role will be from £53,040 per annum. Other benefits for this role include a performance related bonus up to 15%, family health care cover and car allowance.
As part of our commitment to a supportive and inclusive place to work, we recognise that our employees have different personal circumstances and want a suitable work-life balance. We are working hard to support flexible and alternative ways of working where possible including: Flexible Working, Shared Parental Leave, Career Breaks, Wellbeing / Employee Assistance Programme. You will also have access to our flexible benefits programme where you can decide what is important for you.
‘Happy to talk flexible working'
Our Selection Process
* Process they will follow: Behavioural Based Interview,
Behaviours of Line Manager: Collaborate and Share; Focus to Achieve Results
* Location: ScottishPower Headquarters, 320 St Vincent Street, Glasgow G2 5AD
* Occasional travel to Spain, London and other SP sites may be required on an ad hoc basis.
* Closing date: 9th March 2021