About the role:
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for all the commercial and/or operational aspects of the contracts allocated to you by your Manager. You will be provided a diverse portfolio of projects from working on our leakage programme to working on a large DPC (Direct Procurement for Customers) project worth billions of pounds.
You will join one of our established and expanding Commercial Teams and over the course of your career at Thames Water, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects ranging in value from £25k to £200M.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Annual and final accounting as well as estimating and forecasting.
- Ensuring that appropriate processes are in place and monitored on your portfolio of contracts to demonstrate contractual compliance is maintained and any non-performance of the contract is identified, with corrective actions implemented as necessary.
- Resolving general disputes and claims as well as providing advice and support to the business.
- Preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client.
- Undertaking cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work.
- Assisting in establishing the client's requirements and undertaking feasibility studies.
- Performing risk, value management, and cost control.
- Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Preparing and analysing costings from received tenders.
- Analysing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports.
- Valuing completed work and arranging payments.
What’s in it for you?
- A degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent is required for this role.
- This role requires someone who is enthusiastic and can take ownership of tasks, think on their feet, devise plans of action and deliver effective solutions.
- Be able to work semi-autonomously and be confident as well as professional at all times.
- It is essential that you are inquisitive and have meticulous attention to detail.
- You should have the ability to hold your ground and offer reasoned advice in a fast-paced environment.
- In-depth knowledge of infrastructure and the water industry is preferable.
You will be working within an established team you will gain insight into how the UK’s largest water company selects and manages its suppliers across a wide spectrum of services, from supplying pumps to repairing leaks and recruiting temporary staff through to managing our facilities or treatment plant upgrades.
You will be a part of a highly professional Quantity Surveying team empowered to make decisions and responsible for all commercial aspects of their Contracts. The role will provide a diverse range of Quantity Surveying duties in pre and post Contract areas.
You may have an opportunity to become a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and you would have the opportunity to work within a very successful structured APC training programme with the support network of several Chartered Quantity Surveyors, RICS APC assessors and colleagues studying to become MRICS and FRICS.Benefits:
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities. About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning poo into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements, and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.