Apprentice (Payroll Administrator) (15991)
Job ID: 15991
Location: Warrington, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
Help keep taps flowing and toilets flushing across the North West
At United Utilities we're proud to be essential every day, and our people are essential too.
As an Apprentice (Payroll Administrator) you will contribute to delivering an accurate payroll whilst developing a specialised and valuable skillset. As well as providing advice on payroll issues and supporting the development and automation of processes right through to implementation.
What makes us different?
- Secure your future – every apprentice is guaranteed a permanent position at the end of their scheme*
- It's a springboard to your career – we provide you with structured training, a dedicated mentor and quality placements to help you shape your career.
- Inspire the next generation – you'll have the opportunity to represent United Utilities at key events across the region to engage with young people to bring careers in the water industry to life.
A bit more about the role
Working with a Payroll Specialist you will provide administrative support to the Pay and Benefits Team. You will contribute to the day to running of the Pay and Benefits, adhering to cyclical payroll activities.
You will process employee pay data to update personnel records throughout the payroll cycle to maintain accurate payroll results, as well as produce and reconcile detailed reporting for payroll analysis.
You'll be answering customer queries professionally and accurately in accordance with agreed service levels via telephone and work flow. You will learn to offer tailored advice to
employees about their pay and gain the ability to service sometimes complex pay queries.
You will perform general administration duties including distribution of official payroll forms to employees such as payslips and P45s, and undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required commensurate with the level of the post.
You will liaise with internal departments to distribute business MI, as well as provide data to external bodies such as HM Revenue and Customs and the Department of Work and Pensions
You will produce cyclical and bespoke reporting for internal analysis, as well as onward distribution to provide relevant data to internal departments.
This role will include supporting the wider Payroll Team to achieve of business objectives, including the design and implementation of process automation and efficiencies.
You will gain knowledge of policies and procedures in order to dispense practical advice to customers and ensure the continued fidelity of employee records.
During your apprenticeship you'll learn:
- How to resolve customer queries in relation to all services offered by a payroll team.
- How to plan activities around a payroll cycle and keep accurate records.
- How to confidently calculate Pay As You Earn (PAYE) taxes.
- How the UK Parliament budget sets the level of payroll taxes and how this is implemented.
- How the Payroll Team report to HM Revenue and Customs.
What we're looking for:
We're looking for someone who's keen to gain hands on experience, develop practical skills and achieve the qualifications needed to really succeed in your role.
You'll have a dedicated mentor and manager who'll be on hand to support you every step of the way. All that we ask from you is that you're willing to learn, know how to work as part of a team and can manage your time and workload to get things done.
You'll also need to have 5 GCSEs or equivalent, grades A-C, or grades 9-4, which must include Maths, English Language and a science or technology subject.
If you have a strong interest and understanding of payroll within a HR setting, are great at organising and planning, a whizz with Microsoft applications, have great communication skills and are able to deal with challenging and sensitive work, this is the role for you!
What you'll get from us
- Rewarding essentials – there's lot of perks to the job, including a starting salary of £12,500 which will increase each year based on performance.
- Be the best you can be – you'll get involved in all sorts of training and fun activities with your fellow apprentices.
- An environment to be proud of – we're a responsible employer committed to developing our young talent in state of the art facilities.
- Be part of the family – you'll have the chance to network, bond and learn from your colleagues and fellow apprentices.
This role will be based at Lingley Mere in Warrington.
*As long as you meet all necessary standards and behaviour criteria throughout the programme We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service
Closing Date: 07/03/21