Job ID: 13981
Role Type: Permanent
Job Family: Operations
Location: Barrow, UK
Working Hours: 37.00 per week
Be part of the flow of life
At United Utilities we're proud to be essential every day, and our people are essential too.
Come and join us on our apprenticeship scheme and you'll be given the training and development to take that first step onto the career ladder, supported by the United Utilities family.
A bit more about the role
You'll learn how to spot faults on our electrical equipment, as well discover what goes into refurbishing and replacing our assets. Therefore, ensuring our wastewater assets are available and are working correctly, helping to keep services running smoothly for our customers.
During your four year apprenticeship you'll learn how to spot faults on our electrical assets, as well as what goes into refurbishing and replacing our electrical equipment across all of our wastewater treatment works and pumping stations.
You'll live and breathe the water industry so it's important you're willing to learn and gain an understanding of how we provide clean water and take away wastewater for our customers. This can be a bit of a messy job dealing with the things our customers flush down the loo so you'll need to be prepared to get your hands dirty.
Successful apprentices will achieve a Utilities Engineering Technician Standard which is endorsed by the Institute for Apprenticeships.
During your apprenticeship you'll learn
- How to work as part of a dedicated team focussed on ensuring our plants continue to operate at maximum efficiency.
- How to work with a wide range of equipment, be able to identify any faults and carry out routine maintenance, following the company's rigorous health and safety standards.
- About scheduled maintenance activity and how to organise your workload effectively.
What we're looking for:
- We're looking for someone who's keen to gain hands on experience, develop practical skills and achieve the standards needed to really succeed in your role.
- You'll have a dedicated mentor and manager who'll be on hand to support you every step of the way. All that we ask from you is that you're willing to learn, know how to work as part of a team and can manage your time and workload to get things done.
- You'll also need to have 5 GCSEs or equivalent, grades A-C or grades 9-4, which must include Math's, English Language and a science or technology subject.
What makes us different?
• Secure your future – every apprentice is guaranteed a permanent position at the end of their scheme*
• Recognised apprenticeship standard which is endorsed by the Institute for Apprenticeships
• It's a springboard to your career – we provide you with structured training, a dedicated mentor and quality placements to help you shape your career
During your first year, you'll spend 8 months working from Bolton Technical Training Centre during the working week (Monday – Friday). If you're from outside of the area, accommodation will be provided by United Utilities during this period, excluding weekends.
Once you've completed your apprenticeship you'll be asked to join part of a formal standby rota, which may require you to do some out of hours work. Don't worry your training will prepare you for this, but we do advise that you apply for a vacancy that's relatively easy for you to get to, as we would need you to travel to the site easily.
*As long as you meet all necessary standards and behaviour criteria throughout the programme.
The assessment centre for this role will take place during October 2020.